Graffiti on my road

Someone thought it a neat idea to do something my little town regards as unheard of. They painted swears in blue paint in several places.

The road crew for the town thought it a good idea to paint over the lines of the words with black spray paint lines. But this only masked it a little, and essentially made black cuss words with a glowing blue halo on my road.

The road is your basic asphalt I think. Typical Massachusetts very short dead-end road.

Is there anything I can do to remove this graffiti myself? Does a power washer generate enough force? Is my only option to paint over the thing entirely with a rectangle of black?

Thanks

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

While you may find it unsightly, I'm not sure why YOU should be responsible for taking care of it. Unless the graffiti was aimed at you. Eventually it will wear off You could cover it with asphalt sealer, but the town and motorists may not like that. I think your time may be better spent finding the artists and turn them into the authorities.

Reply to
hawgeye

I understand. {author thumbs through ebay for a sniper rifle}

The thing about dealing with the town hall is that is about as fun as dealing with a town hall.

If I put sealer on the thing, then the paint will be entombed forever, and in a horrible sort of time capsule, for future generations to enjoy.

There are only 8 houses on my little road, so no motorists are going to complain. Besides, I'm not sure why they would anyway...

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Wire Brush, or a pressure washer should work I'm a Surveyor and we paint the street all the time.

Reply to
Ralph

Reply to
jloomis

Perhaps try a weed burner or sand blaster?

Reply to
CWatters

CWatters said something like:

Sand blasters sound expensive to rent. Are they?

I thought of a torch, but all that might do is burn a colored residue /into/ the alsphalt permanently.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

You need to be more careful. In most states it is unlawful to do

*anything* to the road surface at all (even plow snow off), and I'm sure that MA is one of the more strict states.

Write a letter to the town and then live with it.. but don't try to remove or cover it yourself, or you may find yourself in as much trouble as the 'graphic artist' who created that work of art in front of your house!

Reply to
PeterD

If you're really worried about it, then perhaps a five gallon bucket of asphalt drive way sealer and a disposable squeegie to apply it. Sounds like you got too much time on your hands.

Steve Barker LT

Illegal to plow snow!?!?!? Ya, ooooooooK...

Steve Barker LT

Yep! Here in NH, it is:

Unlawful to plow a public road unless you have been authorized. Unlawful to plow snow across a public road. Unlawful to plow (shovel or blow) snow onto a public road.

And yes, I do have a plow truck...

Now the truth be told, I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed for properly plowing a public road without authorization (and I've done it a couple of times to get stuck cars out), but technically is is possible.

Why? When some idiot joker (like me!) comes along and plows the road wrong (wrong width, puts the snow in the wrong places, etc.) it creates problems for the DPW...

Reply to
PeterD

on 10/22/2007 8:56 AM PeterD said the following:

I don't know if it illegal where I live, but I usually snowblow the roadside edge of my property for about 20 feet down the road from my driveway, so that the mailman can get to the box. I also put out the garbage cans in that area.

Reply to
willshak

PeterD said something like:

I understand what you're saying, but I would *love* to see someone /try/ to make the argument to me that I cannot clean swears off of the road I live on, when the town's cover-up job was inadequate. I've got [barely] enough time for such a battle....it would be fighting the good fight.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Steve Barker LT said something like:

Already dismissed that upthread...it would only immortalize the markings...they would re-appear once the sealer wore off. Besides, sealer would take forever to dry, etc., too much hassle.

Ok, this comment of yours is ridiculous.

It appeared *before* my whimsical comment of having barely enough time to fight the town should they try to prosecute me for cleaning my road.

Let's look at what you said.

"Sounds like you got too much time on your hands."

IN WHAT WAY? Is it too much time on my hands to want to remove swears from my road? My road is filled with young and very young kids! Is it too much time on my hands when I realize that it will most likely take less time for me to clean it than go through the town crapola to get them to RE-DO what they should have done right in the first place?

Remember, this comment of yours came before my whimsical one, so I'd like to know how my wanting swears off of my road, and looking for ways to sensible ways to get rid of it constitute me having too much time on my hands.

I'm a stay-at-home father of two-----TRUST ME, I have *no* time on my hands, and this is *still* of importance, and *NO* it is usually not a time savings to call around the town hall, and follow up on what should be done, when they believe that their half-assed black-paint "cover" up was enough.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

The 'time' i referred to was the time you take to worry about it. I understand about the kids, BUT, they've already seen it, they're gonna hear it all their life, they probably use those words themselves if they are over

5 years old. And believe me, if it's an asphalt road, and you spread out some sealer and cover it with sand, I doubt you see the paint again. s

Reply to
Steve Barker