facade inspection key points

Does anyone know what are common potential problems for Exterior building walls and their repair solutions.

Reply to
Jay Zhu

A person could write volumes on this subject. Especially concerning what type of building? john

Does anyone know what are common potential problems for Exterior building walls and their repair solutions.

Reply to
jloomis

Gravity

Congress

Reply to
bilb2765

Reply to
Jay Zhu

Reply to
Jay Zhu

Hello Jay Zhu, Your question and project is quite large. I used to work with a forensic architect who studied why building fail. Many factors come into play when studying any one building. Environmental factors such as weather, sun, pollution, freeze and thaw, rain and wind, earth quake and earth movement, all are factors to name a few. Materials used:, age, condition, corrosion, movement, maintenance (or lack of), quality of original material used: concrete, steel, rebar, construction practice... External and internal problems.....termite, dry rot, water damage, fire damage, actual use of building, again so many.

Do you upgrade the building to meet present day codes? Does the glazing need to be replaced. Is the exterior surface in good enough shape to be re-painted or sealed. A building of this age also comes into the Lead Renovation Permit Process. All Buildings built prior to 1978 (that is living structures etc.) fall under the new regulation of the EPA in that handling any repairs over certain amount of sq. ft. require special handling.

You have quite a project on your hands to deal with, and isolating one building at a time, with walk throughs, pictures, construction records, etc. would facilitate your question and help with an answer.

Again dealing in the city with tenants and public would also present a major problem. jloomisconstruction.com

majority build> A person could write volumes on this subject.

Reply to
jloomis

jloomis, thank you very much for the information. may be we can collabration once we have a chance.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Zhu

Buildings that age (could be new one too) are going to have water intrusion problems caused by failure in the flashings and caulk. This might be because flashing were not properly intalled while the building was constructed or due to corrosion in the metals with time. Therefore, I would start looking for areas of rotting and corrosion. It can be in the both wood and in any metals in the building. When you find rotting or corrosion problems there is also the potentials of finding molds.

Ojos

Reply to
FGonzalez

thanks for all help. any structure engineers in NYC, please let me know and we can have coorparation opportunities.

Reply to
Jay Zhu

You can try to go on

and you might find all the answers to your questions regarding construction, regulations and much more.

Reply to
Just

Reply to
Jay Zhu

Jay, please do not top post and please do not encourage newsgroup spammers. The dino guy is just drumming up business for his web site.

Rico dJour