drainfield to outbuilding minimum distance

I want to build a 24x24 free standing shop in my backyard. The only available space is relatively close the the edge of the drainfield--whose layout I can see in late summer, when the skeleton-like outline of the drainage trenches are greener than the surrounding grass.

Is there an FHA minimum property standards specification for drainfield to foundation distance? I looked and could not find it.

Seems like 15' should be plenty. 10' perhaps pushing it. I'd like to know the official answer, if there is one.

Also, the distance might change between standard poured in place cement, and treated wood foundation (in an otherwise dry location).

Reply to
salmobytes

I'm not sure why you would be concerned about the FHA unless you plan on selling the property in the near future. I think you need to check with local building codes first.

Since percolation mostly occurs in an upward direction and not laterally, you could build right up to the trench and not alter the function of the septic system, although the surrounding soil may not be good for load bearing. I suspect when you submit your plans for a permit, they'll want to know where your septic lines are, and will let you know if you can build or not.

Reply to
hawgeye