cracked cement slab under carpet ?

Hello,

Just bought a home down in Florida. Under the carpet the floor is cement. Taking out the carpets noticed that there was a crack down the middle of the cement slab. Does this sign of any trouble?

If I wanted to put ceramic tile down would it be OK?

What could a crack like that mean?

thank you.

Reply to
paul814

Describe the crack. How wide is it? Is it, perhaps, a joint which is a straight 'crack', or is it a jagged crack? Are there answering cracks in the walls inside or out? T

Reply to
tbasc

If necessary check out Schluter Ditra Matting or similar tile underlay matting...

CWatters

How old is the crack? When was the floor poured....... I always tell people I can guarantee 2 things when I pour concrete........ One it will crack, and 2 I don't know where........ If the concrete is old, the crack has been there, and will probably not spread. The subgrade may be suspect also. In a prior post there is a mesh that helps hide cracks in concrete...... So, you may be fine with tile.....depending on the nature of the crack...... What about a floating wood floor?

Reply to
jloomis

The crack is not in the middle or straight. It is not deep, no gap. There are no other noticeable cracks anywhere in the house, outside the house you can not tell because it is wood construction.

The house was built in 1960, I just bought the house.

No cracks > How old is the crack? When was the floor poured.......

Reply to
paul814

Thie crack may well be a shrinkage crack. In that case, the mesh mentioned in other posts should work. T

Reply to
tbasc

I would tile.........

Reply to