10" tread boards okay for staircase?

That's because, by the time you looked at it, I'd already fixed the drawing. Previously it was swinging right as you enter the room. Now it swings left, up against the window, but doesn't quite extend far enough to run into the window.

By the way, I do all my drawings using 3D Home Architect. I scored a nice little BitTorrent download of it, so it was free. Not adequate for creating an entire set of plans, but perfect for communicating floor plan ideas, arranging virtual furniture, etc.

- John

D> "Ken S. Tucker"> wrote

Reply to
Sasquatch

I agree. I like sliders, too. My wife doesn't, though. She says you end up with wasted closet space in the middle where the two doors overlap. I'm thinking you might miss 4" of closet space, which can easily be accessed with a reach-around. (Please, this is a family show.) What can I tell her to convince her? I think bi-folds look cheap, and sliding doors feel more substantial.

- John

Ken S. Tucker wrote:

Reply to
Sasquatch

Yes , Sasy posted the revision in accord with Jojo's suggstion, this day. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Say Sasy, [sasy]... Off hand John, I'm part twinky and have some affinity with the ergonometics of interior design. Front-end, I'd buy time with curtains, instead of wasting money on bi-folds. I even think a curtain is as good or better than an unforgiving bi-fold, and serves the same purpose, even better. The bi-fold is harsh, I'd go the curtain, as it is soft and forgiving, easier to move too. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

"Sasquatch"> wrote

I can't believe what I'm reading!

A person with no regard for *intellectual property*!!!!

Reply to
Don

"Sasquatch"> wrote

The only closet doors I like are standard swing doors, like the type used for entering a room. BiFold and BiPass and Pocket doors have unneccesary baggage that haunts you everyday. Its worth the design effort to put walk-in closets in every bedroom.

Ventilated shelving is another one of my pet peeves, and I'll never use that stuff in my own home and will certainly advise my clients to not use it as well. VS is too expensive, to restrictive and looks hideous. In my last house all the storage areas, and they were considerable, had wood shelves and the clothes closets had wood rods. The 2 walk-ins in the master had built-ins. Try to stand a box of Rice-a-roni up on a ventilated pantry shelf. If you stack folded clothes on a ventilated shelf they end up looking like big corduroy.

Reply to
Don

"Ken S. Tucker"> wrote

OK, I gotta ask: Whats the *purpose* of a curtain on a closet?

Reply to
Don

I appreciate the curtain idea, but that would be a little too unconventional for this house. All the doors are 4-panel white doors with white trim with a crown moulding on top, so the closet doors need to kind of match.

I know who will use your curtain idea, though--the same guy I know who's building his house without door and window trim. Now if there was only an alternative to windows... Oh, yeah! Fewer windows! Already done. And beads instead of interior doors! See, I think "The Man" steals our money by making us think we need things like windows, doors, closets, etc. I'll show the man! Actually, if I can't pay for this house, I just might be living in a tee-pee. Now *that* would be

*really* be stickin' it to "The Man."

- John

Ken S. Tucker wrote:

Reply to
Sasquatch

What's funny about that is I bought that 3DHA at Big Lots for $10. Haven't had time to play with it but I'm hoping the 3D is easier that ACAD for those pesky roofs.

Reply to
JD

"Sasquatch"> wrote

Hold up Jackson. You have repeatedly said that this was going to be reminiscent of an *old farm house*. Have you ever actually seen one, walked through one? Curtained closets are exactly what you'll see there.

Short story, but amazing. I do large scale custom homes, new and remodeled, on an island named Useppa. The finished homes on Useppa START at $2mil. A vacant lot, off water, will run $850k+.

Anyway, all the homes on Useppa have names and this one home in particular was named Hemingway. The interior was designed by the leading interior design firm in FL, Robb & Stucky, in a 1940's Hemmingway style. The owner lived there for a few years and then sold the home for $3.5 mil. The new owner hired me to gut the whole thing and make it like what he wanted. No problem massah, your wish is my command. This time around the owner wanted a Hemingway theme but from the 20's rather than the 40's. By the time he was done he had put another $2.5 mil into this crib for a total of $6mil.

Now, here's the good part, back in the 20's Hemingways actual home had curtains on all the closets AND all the kitchen cabinets. Thats right, none of the cabinetsor closets in the entire house had doors on them, just curtains. This home was phenomenal. The Hemingways were quite poor in the 20's. The fauz finishers simulated mildew in the ceiling corners, spiderwebs and dust on the bullyseye glass windows, cracked marble on the hearth, splintered wood flooring, etc., etc. The most amazing thing I saw there was a simple curtain rod over the bath tub that held the shower curtain and the ID told me that rod cost $1100. Now to me it looked like a junky, rusty, bent and dented piece of pipe. But there it was none the less. That home sold last year for $7.5mil. ..... and quite frankly I wouldn't have paid $100k for it. Well, for investment purposes I would, but not to live in.

Reply to
Don

Sorry. A guy I know was using it, and they no longer sell what he had. I found another similar product, but it wasn't the same. I wanted the

3D Home Architect software because it was quick and easy and I already knew how to use it, and I knew that it could do exactly what I needed. I'm happy to pay for intellectual property if the cost is reasonable and the product is available in a convenient manner. If not, there's always my old friend BitTorrent. Likewise, I don't know when the record companies and movie companies are going to wise up. If they had an enormous catalog of music available online (like is available via BitTorrent) and the cost was only $0.25 track, I would never consider BitTorrent. And if I could download a movie for $2.00 or a TV episode for $0.25, again, BitTorrent would be unneccessary. But these companies ignore customer satisfaction at their peril.

- John

D> "Sasquatch"> wrote

Reply to
john

Those bi-fold doors that have slats or something are nice, and provide ventilation, wife's always win.

I had a 10' closet that was curtained, I didn't like the curtains so replaced those with sliding panels, I didn't like the panels so I replaced them with nicer looking curtains, and installed soft-back lighting. The backlighting keeps the closet warmer than the room and I figure it helps prevents condensation and dampness too. More than likely I was too fussy. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

That's for my wife to hide her boyfriend when I come home early, what does your's do? Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

That reminds me of a Gene Tracy joke.... "Bells"

.... "ting-a-ling m----- f-------!"

Reply to
JD

I see nothing there to argue about. 'cept, you owe me no apology.

Reply to
Don

She requires that her boyfriend bring his wife, of course!

Reply to
Don

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

My favorite thing is pocket doors. If I were to have a custom place, I'd ask that the design (since I like "contemporary" anyway) use pocket doors rather than hinged doors, because the latter waste so darn much space.

Curtains are the less expensive option of course. As with many things, how it looks is a function of how well the job is done, and what quality of materials are used. There are some impressive fabrics available...

Wow. But I bet it was really something to see, after it was all finished.

Well, that makes a huge amount of sense. For one thing, if the curtains get greasy or dirty, you can either wash them, ore easily replace them. Washing is easier than dusting/cleaning solid doors. And prob. most importantly, curtains allow for air circulation, which is especially important in a humid, wet, tropical climate - without it, anything that's in the closets and cabinets would get moldy very quickly. People forget all of that, because they have air conditioning. But if that AC ever goes down, well... Anyway, that's why louvered dorrs tend to be associated with tropical styles - the louveres allowed for air circulation, while the tilt maintained privacy when used for rooms and, when used for closets etc., kept the place looking neater since they also worked just as well to hide any clutter.

Curtains also can be pleasant texturally. And/or used as a focal point, if one gets a quilt-like thing (i.e. fancy needlework) or, more recently, gets some of the "scenic" fabrics that are printed much like murals. You can even have your own image printed to various types of indoor or outdoor fabric.

Fabric and louvered doors also can have a lighter or "more airy" feel than panelled doors. It all depends upon what "look" an individual wants.

Now, that part is bizarre. I doubt that a housewife of the 20's thru

60's would have let all that stuff accumulate. They *did* have Clorix back then (the smell of which I personally still associate with "cleanliness" All of the stinks they put into everything just smells to me like people are trying to mask the smell of filth - plus I'm allergic to all that junk. Hence, Clorox )

Living in a faux museum can get to be a bit of a drag, I'd think. I'm not dead-set across the board against faux finishes, but faux mildew is just too bizarre.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"JD" wrote in news:eozZg.15373$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

FWLIW, I didn't like it, got the latest version that was out about a year ago. I hate the texturing job it does, the lighting isn't worth the bother, and it isn't as easily "automatic" as the side panels would have one believe, if one is doing something that's a bit unusual or complex. I ended up just sticking with my 3D modeling software. ((Yeah, know - one of these days, I really *will* get some stuff re- rendered and on-line, at least the files that my computer didn't chew up =:-o )) If you have to do a lot fo it, as with anything else, you develop a system that speeds things up.

Hmm, maybe I should try to sell my copy, since I don't use it

Reply to
Kris Krieger

snipped-for-privacy@vieth.info wrote in news:1161260993.224968.134450 @m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

I've heard of bittorrent - but what *is* it?

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

I differ about the doors but I do agree 100% re: those dang wire shelves.

IMO, the *easiest* thing would be, wood with laminate on the upper surface, i.e. Formica. ((I guess it'd also have to also be on the bottom, tho', to keep the wood from warping...??)) The reason I say Formica, is, ease of maintenance: doesn't chip, never gets sticky/tacky if the humidity rises, lasts a long time, smooth surface. Easy maintenence is a major consideration for me in most things, where it's aesthetically acceptable.

The wire hangar rails are crap, pure and simple. Wood is better, tho' it'd be IMO nice if thre was some sort of plastic sheath that could go over them, something like the plastic things you can put over shower- curtain rods. The hangars would slide more easily over something like that.

Reply to
Kris Krieger