Whiter whites - how to do it

When I worked in a kitchen with white cotton aprons and polyester/cotton, I could send them to installation laundry with any and every kind of food stain one can imagine. They ALWAYS got them out. I ALWAYS got my whites back gleaming.

They say you can't get the strength of soap they use because it is too caustic. I'm sure they didn't use a chlorine bleach too, because chlorine eats cotton over time.

Does anyone know where to get the soap they use, perhaps through another avenue? My whites are on my freaking nerves! :-@

Reply to
Dan S.

  1. Ask your husband what he recommends.
  2. Detergents generally ain't what they used to be.
  3. a. HOT water and Bleach can do a lot. b. Powder is better than liquid. c. Tide

a.

(did I really just post to alt.home.cleaning?)

Reply to
the_andrew_smith

the_andrew snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com formulated the question :

I've tried all that. People do work in laundries and I am hoping for some sypathy from my dingy shirted brothers. Where's mia when you need him.

Reply to
Dan S.

Tide, bleach and bluing. Just like the Chinese laundries.

Reply to
unklbob

I started to mention bluing, but then I would have given myself up as the gheyest of metrosexuals as well as open up a gigantor list of other questions, one of which I don't have an answer for.

a.

Reply to
the_andrew_smith

Tell them that blacks are voting for Obama 90-10 and that he thinks they are bitter and has a SC4RY 8L4CK P4ST0R who hates America.

Oh wait, that's not what you were talking about.

Reply to
xyzzy

My Gramma was born in 1879, and came West on a stagecoach. She taught me about bluing, and how to make lye soap from wood ashes and tallow. She died in 1982, just short of her 103d birthday. No metrosexual, she.

Reply to
unklbob

I thought this was going to be a Hillary Clinton thread

Marty

Reply to
McMahone

Deer Martha Stewart,

Ok, I'll be honest. It's not shirts, it's the dishtowels. I cannot buy the flowery kind (sexuality redemption?). I like the plain white bar towels. I feel the white adds a detail that says clean. But, they're about $10 for 10 towels when they have them (which seems to be about once a year).

So, you can see my dilemma. They only stay clean for about 3 or 4 washings, and with all the dishes and stuff, it's just a never ending struggle.

Seeking soapy solutions.

Yours, Dan S.

Reply to
Dan S.

Ah, dishtowels! I have about 300 dishtowels, mostly plain made from the plain white commercial towel fabric. I might go through 20-25 towels weekly. A hot bleach Tide removes any stains, brightens and sanitizes the towels. Blindfolded, I think I can fold several dozen in a minute or two.

Reply to
Phisherman

On Fri 09 May 2008 12:40:56p, Dan S. ( snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net) wrote

Dear Soapless,

Make nice-nice with one of the waitstaff at a local restautant. Have them get you five towels. Each week return the soiled towels for clean ones. Do not tell the manager since they probably pay by the towel.

Yer Welcomb.

Reply to
Bill Lang