white dust from tap water in humidifier

PaPaPeng wrote:

It would take a lot of houseplants to use several gallons a day. If you want to maintain humidity, infiltration may be the first concern. The second may be a wet-dry thermometer to monitor humidity objectively.
My sister had no way to measure humidity, but for years she ran an ultrasonic humidifier all winter because she thought it helped her breathing. I think she finally concluded that the moisture was doing more harm than good by promoting the growth of allergens.
With no added humidity, my wintertime drop is seven degrees. That's about 65%, and that's dandy. If I wanted more humidity I'd dry my laundry on a rack indoors. If I wanted a lot more humidity I'd hang wet towels on the rack and use a 12" fan. Those fans are quiet and run hours for a penny.
Years ago I used a fan and towel to clean the air. I'd just put a pan of beans on high heat to boil when a neighbor came to the door for help. When I got back, the acrid smoke was too thick to see through. I ventilated, then for a week hung a wet towel in front of a fan. I rinsed the towel frequently. It picked up a lot of soot and odor.
So a wet towel can be used to add humidity and remove pollution.
Choreboy
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:24:17 -0500, Choreboy

I took a look at my weather station - that fancy three dial thingy I have, more for decoration than utility. The relative humidity reads 42%, and the temp is 70 deg F. That's my confort zone and I have lived in my house for 23 years. I live in Alberta which is comfortably dry all year round such that sweat evaporates fast enough to keep the body dry even when I exercise. Summer temperatures can go up to 80 deg F and I don't have air conditioning. But that's very bearable because of the low humidity.
I have enough house plants pots to occupy three office desks. They are spread out of course. They have adapted well enough that I need only water them once in five days or once a week. Most of the plants have been around since I moved in.
The rest of the humidity comes from cooking, from baths and from laundry although as a single occupant this contribution will be less than that of a family's. In cool or warm weather I leave the windows open to let air circulate. I do see pollen collecting on the window screens and some must get through. But rarely are there any fluffy airborne seeds getting into the house. The best part is that there is no condensation on the window glass and I have lots of glass in my house. There are no moldy spot either.
I hardly if ever catch the flu nowadays, or have respiratory problems although I have to admit that my place is quite dusty as I hardly ever vacuum the place. I don't mess up so things look neat normally. A once a year whole house commercial carpet clean takes care of the accumulated stuff.
PaPaPeng wrote:

Great solution and I'm glad it works for you. I cannot have most houseplants because of mold in the soil. Yes, I have medical documentation of this so it is not my opinion just so the trolls know. The pollen collecting on the windows would be a huge concern for me given my extensive allergies. Anyway, this solution would not work for me. Vacuuming is done here 3 - 4 times or more a week out of necessity. I simply could not tolerate dusty conditions for personal and health reasons. The thing is, we each have to customize our home environment to meet our needs. While your solution works for you, it certainly will not work for everyone!

It is so damn hard to keep dust out of a trailer these days!!!!
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 04:04:10 GMT, "Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik"

Make me wonder if there is a equilibrium point somewhere. The air where I live is quite clean and the inside of the house is no dustier than the outside. If I vacuum more often it gets just as dusty as the outside air soon.
One more frugal habit. I do simple and minimal cooking. All food is contained in one pot. The moment it is boiled it is off the cooktop and ready to eat. No frying or long cooktimes. Therefore practically no cooking odors in the house or carpet. No oily film deposit.
PaPaPeng wrote:

Vacuuming often here is a must. Our vacuum has a hepa filter so that really helps. The only time I notice extra dust is after we have had a houseful of company. Perhaps your vacuum is emitting dusty air back out into your indoor environment?

IMO, and this is just me, your method would get rather boring after awhile. I love cooking and home preserving. A lot of cooking goes on here including frying and longer cooktimes depending on the food. I generally steam rather than boil vegetables. We also use the outdoor barbeque year round and the indoor JenAir barbeque occasionally. I'm in the experimenting mood so have been using ingredients I normally wouldn't have used when our kids were young due to expense or special time extensive cooking methods as well as foods that require an adult palette. In other words, I'm experimenting on the gourmet side of cooking and so far loving it! So two frugal hints for those who do a lot of cooking or even cook more than you do. Minimize odours by using exhaust fans. An open bowl of vinegar will remove cooking odours. A solution of ammonia and water will take care of any cooking film. Both vinegar and ammonia are cheap and environmentally friendly. Again, your solution works for you but

Don't bother replying - the osha rules apply to anhydrous ammonia used in refrigeration, not household ammonia, which is massively diluted in water. Since the Rastis is on an ad hom personal attack streak, back it goes into the KF.

isn't rastis living proof of the dangers of sniffing ammonian excessively?
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:57:46 -0800, Robert Morien

Isn't that what happened to those dainty Victorian lady types? They would faint at the slightest provocation. Every polite lady then had a small bottle of ammonia in her purse to stick under the faintee's nose to bring her back to her senses. I remember coming across such a botttle when I was a kid and taking a sniff. All it did was make pretty ugly faces. Rastis probably too one too many whiffs,