towel rack over the door?

Hello----

I am looking for a towel rack to go over the door in our bathroom. The ones I have found are flimsy, and I need one also that will not swing or "bounce" when the door is opened or closed.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Donna

Reply to
Donna

Donna,

We had one of those things but I threw it out after it ruined the door. The problem is you can't control what people will hang on it, including really wet things. Then there is drip drip drip, with each drip splashing onto the bottom of the door as it hits the floor. If the door is wooden you will soon have serious water damage along the bottom edge.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Have you considered applying some sticky stuff between the hook things and the door to prevent it from bouncing? I'm talking about something like "Scotch Mounting Squares". They are slightly padded and have 2 sticky sides. There is another product that is promoted to be used for posters, and can be removed later without any damage to the wall.

Bonnie in NJ

Reply to
bonniejean

On Sat 31 Dec 2005 12:59:23p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Donna?

You might consider a hinge mounted towel rack, since it moves independent of the door, yet can hug the door closely.

Wayne Boatwright

Thank you for your responses and the benefit of your experience. I think I'll look for an alternate way to hang the towels----

Regards,

Donna

Reply to
Donna

This is an easy custom woodworking project made with two brackets and a dowel rod. Find the place on the door to fasten the brackets where the door is not hollow, use two screws per bracket. Also, plan the size of the rod and brackets where it won't interfere with anything. If there is enough space you could use two dowel rods. Sand with 150,

220 grit. Finish (stain, enamel, polyurethane, varnish, etc) to your liking, then mount the rack. A 5/16" by 1" strip of wood can be used instead of a 1/2" round dowel.
Reply to
Phisherman

find the "overthedoor" hooks work quite well. Course not many live here so many towels not in use at the same time. Have never seen a problem with dripping water or damp towels. Also have 2 overthehooks that are very narrow and hook over the glass of the shower door. Don't know where I got them and haven't needed to shop for any for quite some time.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin