Tea Spots on Carpet - Mixed with Colorox Bleach

Hi,

I had some tea spots (little brown spot of size 2 by 12 inches) on my carpet (Tan Color) . I was trying to remove them with Carpet Cleaner/Spot Remover but they wer still there. Today I tried to remove them using Clorox Bleach (after diluting it with lot of water). But it chaged the spot color from brown to some pale shade (like somebody had spilled a mixture of orange juice and tea on it) . I am not sure this is due to usage of bleach this color has been permanatly changed or it has reduced the tea stains to lighter shade. I am not sure what to do and worried if beach has permanatly changed the color. As bleach has not changed the color to white I am not sure that even spot dying will work or not. I am leaving on rent in this apartment and I am moving out of this on 25th Feb. I do not want to pay big amount to Community Management Company for this. I surfed the net and there are so many ideas but nobody close to my situation. Will apreciate if anybody provide me some tips to remove those stains.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Vikas

You have bleached the carpet and a chemical change occurred! Chlorine bleach should not be used on color fabrics of any kind. It's too late for Vikas, but here's the procedure to keep in mind for removing tea stains in carpeting. Blot the spot with a detergent solution (such as

1/4 c. Tide in 1 qt. warm water), then rinse w/ clear cool water. If stain remains, blot using vinegar. If the stain still remains, use OxyClean or a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide. Tea stains can be tough to remove as tea is often used as an effective stain for fabric and wood.

Vikas: consider rearranging your furniture to hide the stain or replacing a section of carpet.

Reply to
Phisherman

As Phisherman says, it's probably too late now to get the stain out. However, you can try using a very sharp pair of small scissors and snipping the stained area out of the carpet, then finding an inconspicuous place to cut some pile and the glue it into the snipped area. I've done this before and if you do it carefully, you won't be able to tell where the stain was.

-- Piper

Reply to
Piper

cannot vikas pour some more tea on the bleached spots to bring the colour back? kylie (only partly joking - _i'd_ try it!! those areas are buggered anyway ;-)

but here's the procedure to keep in mind for removing tea

Reply to
0tterbot

Hi Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I understand that it was a mistake and i want some solution for that. This is an rented apartment and I will be moving to some other area on this weekend. So I have to resolve this issue by this weekend otherwise apartment community management will charge big money for this.

I think I have 4 options -

  1. Pay to management for carpet change - big money, does not want to do that.
  2. Apply a patch - I am afraid it will be visible and apartment mgmt. can easily notice that.
  3. Get the threads out of bleached area and glue (super glue) threads there from some hidden area (closet).
  4. Call some spot dying professional (will charge 0 for this).

If anyone have been through any of these solutions, can you please share your expirence and suggest something which will be really helpful for me. I am in Washington DC, USA area.

Reply to
Vikas

Your best bet is #2, if done properly. This kind of carpet repair is not uncommon and you should be able to find a procedure on the Internet or library. Basically...

  1. Cut out the damaged area using a utility knife held against a straightedge. Keep the old piece.
  2. Use the cut out piece as a template to cut out a new piece of carpet.
  3. Slide double-sided carpet tape halfway underneath the edges of the carpet.
  4. Apply seam cement to the edges.
  5. Set the new patch in place and weight down for a day.

Of course this won't work if the new piece (patch) does not have the same wear as the surrounding carpet. Nor will it work unless you get the pile and pattern matched up. A professional might do the job for $100. Otherwise, I'd take option #4. If the carpeting is >10 years old, your management may not charge you anything. Good luck.

Reply to
Phisherman

I've never rented a home that the management company or landlord didn't expect some wear and tear. They can not expect to rent and have the place look like brand new when the tenant moves out. You should call them and explain the situation and ask how much wear and tear they deem acceptable in order for you to get your deposit back.

-- Piper

Reply to
Piper

I'd also suggest taking lots of photos when you leave -- especially if that is the only area that is affected. They should not hold your entire security for one area of damage.

Reply to
Lady