Musty Laundry Problem

Hello all

My friend is having a problem with her laundry smelling musty even though she says does not let the laundry sit in the washer after it is done with the cycle. I had this problem a long time ago, but I cannot remember how I solved it, with the exception of I never let laundry sit in the washer when it is done with the cycled.

She does seem to use a lot of fabric softener. In an attempt to get rid of the musty smell, she uses softener in her washer as well as a fabric sheet in the dryer. This does not help get rid of the musty smell at all. Could this be causing a problem?

I have a vague memory of using vinegar in my wash load. Would this help with the musty smells? I know it helps to neutralize bleach loads.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you D~

Reply to
Annaid

Leave the lid in the OPEN position when not using your washer. This will help keep the interior dry and prevent rust. I dislike fabric softeners for several reasons, including the perfume smell it puts in the laundry. Adding baking soda to the wash will help, plus adding white vinegar to the fabric softener rinse. Sunlight is a powerful deodorizer--using a clothes line on a sunny day will certainly remove most stubborn odors, plus it will brighten whites.

Reply to
Phisherman

We had this problem with our front loader and it turned out to be the Tide HE we were using. Nothing ever smelled clean, especially towels.

We switched to the Costco brand of frontloading detergent and the smell disappeared immediately. After years, no kidding years of stinky towels. they now smell clean and fresh. What a difference. Did you try a diff detergent?

Reply to
maximovies

Strangely enough, this same question is in this month's issue of Good Housekeeping magazine. Page 40 of the Dec. 2006 issue.

"No matter how quickly I remove it from the washer, my laundry comes out smelling sour. How can I get it to smell better?"

Heloise answers:

Try rewashing the clothes in small loads at the highest water-level setting and hottest temperature safe for the fabrics, using the normal amount of detergent. You can also try washing them with sudsy ammonia only (one cup per load) and then rinsing twice. Put washed loads into the dryer immediately. To avoid this problem, don't overload your washer, so clothes can move freely and rinse well.

Reply to
Karen Newton

I think it was on "How clean is your house" this week that they cleaned the insides of a washer . If I remember rightly they first ran it on the hottest and longest cycle with washing soda in it, then they ran it again with white vinegar in it. Each time it looked like they put a cup full in. I think they said to do it every couple of months.

Reply to
franacropan

there we are again. heloise also evidently needs her head read.

dry them outdoors on a line. phisherman's not just here for decoration. kylie

To avoid this problem, don't overload your

Reply to
0tterbot