determining mystery stain on couch

Cleaning experts,

We have a relatively new couch that is the color khaki. We came home one day and noticed a orange/pink stain on the "top/back" where your head/neck would lie. My wife tried rubbing it out with water and it spread.

She thinks it bleach or toothpaste. Any thoughts? How would we clean this (*can* we clean it)? Thanks!

CPC

Reply to
Chris Chong

Hi Chris,

If your wife added water and it spread it implies it's treatable with water. What you need to do is put on a small amount of water and then extract it using a hand tool of a wet and dry cleaner or rented carpet cleaner.

After that try acetic acid and again extract anywater you put on .

Hope this helps but if it's not completely out after this get back to the group and tell us what reaction you've seen

-- DrClean

The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web

Reply to
DrClean

Bleach is unlikely. If you have not already, try vacuuming it. Then apply a moist stain remover (I like "Resolve" powder crystals). You may need to reposition the couch and/or tilt it such that the stain is horizontal and the powder will stay on the stain. Lightly brush the powder into the stained area, allow to dry for 2 hours, then vacuum using a brush attachment. This will work for most unknown stains--at least for the one that can be removed. You may want to consider washable "protectors" placed at the top of the couch to prevent it from happening again. I'm only guessing the stain may be a hair product.

Reply to
Phisherman