I just bought this old condo. It's built in 1964. All
kitchen and bathroom cabinets smell so bad.
I sprayed them with bleach, then Mr.Clean sanitizer (the
green ammoniac) but the smell is still there. I put a bowl
of vinegar in each of the cabinet also but the smell is
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Hi April. What you have done should have eliminated most odors. Mr.
Clean is a good cleaner to use for odor control. Can you remove the
shelves? If the interior is wood, Murphy's oil soap is a good choice.
Perhaps the cause of the odor needs some investigation. Do the
cabinets feel damp? Is there a water leak somewhere? A broken sewer
air vent? A dead animal in the walls?
Is there any mold or mildew? I agree with Phiserman...there is something
wrong. Have you asked neighbors if they have a smell? If you have done all
of that and aired and dried them, there is something in the walls or maybe a
bathroom vent is leaking.
I once had an awful smell in my house but just SOMETIMES. When I bought new
countertops, we found a dead mouse on top of the dishwasher. I guess the
heat and humidity rehydrated the poor little critter each time I used it.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.