Re: STICK IT !!!

I'm doing a little remodeling. There's a chimney in the way --

> typical old brick -- and not enough room to frame out around it. In > NYC or other places, people might like a brick chimney in their > kitchen, but not here. So I'm trying an experiment. I'm using > construction adhesive to glue the sheet rock on to the brick. It > should be set up by tomorrow morning and I'll see if it miraculously > works or if I've created a HUGE problem for myself.

It'll work. You could have also used joint compound.

RicodJour

Yep. The USG web site has an excellent online guidebook for drywall. You could have also skipped over the patching of the holes and just put the new wallboard up over the "holy" plaster. Drywall typically spans 16" or 24", so unless your holes are larger than that you can skip the infill.

RicodJour

How are you going to install the corner bead?

Reply to
creative1986

Glue on?

Reply to
<gary

Masonry nails? Roofing nails? You&#39;ve never actually done any drywall, have you?

Pat&#39;s situation he could attach the beads using contact cement (whether spray or brush on), joint compound, staples, a crimping tool, or even shorty paneling nails. Masonry or roofing nails is a oddball suggestion. Please leave construction advice to the professionals and people that have actually done it. Why don&#39;t you trot over and see if there&#39;s any late breaking news on the gypsies? Thanks.

RicodJour

Well, now, yessuh, I have. And I&#39;ve even ripped drywall and masonite off of masonry, and done rough and finish plaster.....but, I thought you might see the humor

Who are you calling gypsies?

Reply to
++

In your situation you could have used Durabond, which is a setting type joint compound that you mix from a bag of powder and water. It&#39;s independent of temperature and humidity for setting, pretty much, and the stuff comes in different setting/working times. It allows you to do two or three coats in a single day without a problem.

Durabond is the stuff to use where you need some structural strength, like on bead work, but it doesn&#39;t sand, so it&#39;s not good to use for the final coats. Use another setting type of compound like EZ-Sand for the last couple of coats. Use Ready Patch for the final touch-ups and polish as that stuff can be painted over pretty quickly and feathers nicely.

You can ask me this stuff ahead of time, Pat, and I&#39;ll definitely save you some time and effort.

RicodJour

You can get 30 minute mud at Lowes. But you gotta be good. When they say 30 minute they MEAN 30 minute.

Reply to
creative1986