Re: Ike passed, power back on here

Pat wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z72g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

>> Well, Ike has passed, and our area
[SNIP]
> >> Another note - this really emphasizes the efficiency of buried power >> etc. lines - older neighborhoods with pole-mounted untility lines, adn >> lower construction standards, are really taking a hit, between >> continuing ppower- >> outages and structural damge, even in areas that were not near the eye. > > This is the result about 100 yrds down the street from my house: >
8167133.img > > The telephone pole you see, it's the bottom sticking up in the air. > The top, with transformers, is laying down on the ground away from you > in the picture. The pole immediately to the right is also down.

Holy cow!!

Yeah, this storm was so dang huge taht it maintained its strength all the way up the continent. It workd for us, in that it was too big to be able to spin much faster, but that meant it also lost energy much more slowly :(

I hope your place wasn't damaged.

Hey, I noticed that your area is going to do a wind power study. I'm interested in renewables, let me know how it turns out.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Pat wrote in news:feef08f2-be87-49c5-a64d- snipped-for-privacy@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Are they as loud as some folks say? I've heard NIMBYs complain that "wind turbines aer too loud".

Any thoughts...?

Are vertical "PcWind" type turbines as loud?

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news:ea4626f1-f524-4747- snipped-for-privacy@b30g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

a64d-

INO, the whole "aeolian" thing is interesting. Audio is important.

I have modest-sized clumping bamboos and tall grasses in the yard for the same "pleasnat sound" reason. (They also came through Ike looking jsut fine.)

Oops I means "PacWind".

Hah! ;)

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s20g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

[snip]

I'm glad to know he and his family are OK. THis was an amazing storm; the local news is, of course, almost all about Galveston/Houston, btu CNN has been running stories about the devastation eslewhere. It's terrible.

OTOH, given his good ideas re: designing and building storm-resistant houses, maybe DOn will see an increase in business? It might be good for him to emphasize that and put it into his website's Meat tags as well...

Reply to
Kris Krieger