Re: Canadian Version of ADA?

>>Is there a Canadian version of the ADA (American with Disabilities Act)? >> If so, can you send a link? > > For the most part, Accessibility is already defined within the > Building Code and has been many a year. The National Building Code > (the key word is National) is created from input from the various > stakeholders and is published on an irregular basis. > If your question about the Accessibility standards was to find out > what the differences and similarities are between the two - it would > be just easier to post a specific question that you are curious about. > Our Codes are copyrighted and are usually only available in electronic > format as protected software OR in printed form and so it is very > unlikely to be found on any website.

The ADA is not solely about the built environment....

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Yeah... I figured that out. I probably could have been more specific in the question...like is there a specific "ADA" type component of building code for Canada.

I figure that out, too...another scam. You gotta pay pretty big bucks to get your copy.

The ADA came about from civil suits. The ADA, in current legal form, is also impossible to use as a protection from future civil suits. For instance, if you follow the current ANSI standards an make reasonable efforts to provide accessibility, it's still possible to be sued because you didn't make it accessible enough.

The ADA issue is rather complex. My father is suffering some health problems and accessibility issues have become somewhat important to him. He's become aware of how difficult it can be for those with mobility issues to get around. And I can certainly have empathy for him. But I also get a bit bent out of shape when he expects that substantial resources be spent to make things accessible. We've moved into a society where people feel entitled to "fairness." Life ain't fair and nobody is entitled to it being fair.

Should things be accessible? Sure. Should we spend lots of money to make sure they're "perfectly" accessible for a small (

Reply to
3D Peruna