Q. about sealing aluminum windows

Hi,

We have cheapo aluminum window frames, since that seems, for some reason i can't understand, all that gets used in this area. They're double-paned, but the frames aren't sealed, so the frames have Zero insulation value.

What I'm wondering is whetehr I can get away with using silicon sealant on the outsides, where there are various gaps and openings, so as to give the things something resembling insulation value.

If that can't be done, is there anything tat van be applied over the outside or the inside of the metal that would offer some sort of insulation value?

TIA!

- Kris K.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

One word: Price.

By sealed do you mean thermally broken?

That'll stop air infiltration, and may keep you more comfortable, but it doesn't add to the R value of the windows unless you're going to trowel it on continuously. Is that what you're planning?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

BTW, some of those holes are to let water that gets into the frame to get out, so you don't want to close those unless it never rains where you are.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

"Michael Bulatovich" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

Well, yeah. But what Imean is, there is not even an *option* to get better windows put in. We had gotten some super windows while living in th eToronto area, but the frames were all wooden (ours are mortered-in on the first floor, which is all brick), so replacement wasn't all that difficult. THey were bloody expensive but the house was downright *toasty* in the Winter, IOW, we saved bundles on the heating bills.

ANyway, they don't even have that option down here. Seems nuts to me. It took a lot fo searching to find a place that offered the Tyvek and TechShiled as options.

No, the frames themselves have little slits at the bottom. ALso, tehy're just screwed together. I just wanted to check whether they'd rot or something if I sealed them up.

Reply to
Kris Krieger