Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights

Hi all,

I'm about to spec some Outdoor Motion Sensor Lights for a residential client. Any personal experience with hints as to which ones work best, which offer the most features or how to maximize their use, etc?

They are to be used mostly for convenience to light areas as people walk by but f course, they will also provide secutiry.

From what 've seen, there are dozens of cordless types but these are to be hard-wired.

TIA

PL

Reply to
Pierre Levesque

Be careful where you place them as a branch moving in the wind, for example, can set everything alight.

Reply to
++

Actually I should have written that I'm looking at getting just the sensors to be hard wired to existing lights.

I figure that 30-40 foot detection max would do the trick

IOW, here's an example:

Car or person comes up the driveway to the house. The view at the top of the drive is a freestanding garage. When the car/person gets about 20-30 or

40 feet from the garage, the existing light above the garage door lights up for 20 seconds to 5 minutes or more... whatever, I assume this is adjustable...

The intent would be to connect the sensor somewhere between the switch and fixture...

I ask because there also appears to be a ton of transmitters/receiver systems out here that could detect at a gate or something but I think that would be overkill for this particular application unless someone has experience with why something like that (or something else) has value

Reply to
Pierre Levesque

"Pierre Levesque" wrote in news:6oh7j.4842$k22.4236@trnddc02:

There are some units that screw into socket then bulb screws back into it, if fixture has room for it...

Shortcomings in built into fixture ones I've had in past are plastic 'window' on it fails due to UV and temperature. Also like Pat mentioned spiders, etc can clog them up too..

My rec would be commercial quality motion and photo cells controlling a whole circuit, then all exterior lights come on at once.

btw, since its the season, how many others spec outlets in soffit, on sep circuit and switched for christmas lights ?

Ron

Reply to
Ron

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

The company that built this neighborhood offered it as a choice. I thought about it, but decided against it, since I hang all my lights inside the windows, and decided to go for other options.

((OK, and because I'm not about to climb 20' or more up a ladder to reach around trying to hang stuff off the gutters...;) ))

But a lot fo people in this locale seem to have that. It makes sense, because people don't have to have extension cords flopping around (plus, few extension cords have plugs taht are protected from weather).

Reply to
Kris Krieger

I think if I ever do get the chance to design my own house, I would certainly put those up there. My gf loves all the holiday decoration stuff. I go along with it because it's more Pagan than Christian :).

So have you designers of houses given to including data/phone/cable in all rooms of a house (or at least recomended it) for a client, or do you leave it for the client to decide? Any of you witht he big homes have to deal with servers and things of that nature for a house right from schematic design?

Reply to
Edgar

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

Have to show off a bit :-). 3 pics of our place ... only some of it in our soffit circuit :-)

Ron

Very nice, I'll have to post some of my modest little home :)

Reply to
Edgar

"Edgar" wrote in news:476ae653$0$26028$ snipped-for-privacy@free.teranews.com:

TO be honest, I now wish that I did take the option, just to have it available.

((The Christians, as is well-known, tacked the mass for Christ's birth onto the ancient Roan, and later, Northern European Pagan, celebrations marking the lengthening of the days after the WInter Solstice, i.e. shortest day of the year - according to the astronomical and other events in the Bible, Jesus is estimated to have been born near the end of March,

*not* just after the WInter Solstice. THe pagan holidays celebrated the return of light fron the darkenss, and therefore probably the renewal of life, an dperhaps, who knows, also personal renewal, so it seemed to fit well with celebrating Jesus' birth, even tho' the season/date is all wrong.))

THat is an option we went for ourselves - even tho' we only have one TV (bought in 1998 at that ). THe thing is that it offers maximum flexibility. in fact, there are 2 in the MBR - it's about 17' long and

13'+ wide, so having one set at each end lets someone put their stuff where they want it. It didn't cost a lot but I figure it might be a decent selling point, if/when it comes time to sell.

Of course, it also allows one to move the furniture waround if oen wishes to do that.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

"LED"

THey're getting better each year. The light can be "amplified" if there is an acrylic doohickey (star, snowflake, or some other facetted shape) that goes over the emitter and bounces the light around.

THe battery-operated ones are an annoynace ebcause the batteries drain too quickly.

I had started looking for Solar lights - found some but didn't dfollow up. But that might be a potential consideration, of you have a very good rechargeable battery to go with them.

Reply to
Kris Krieger