Nailing Question - Stud To Sole pLate

In the California Building Code book the nailing schedule specifies that the nail size for stud to sole plate should be (4) 8d nails if toenailed, or (2)

16d nails for end nailing. I'm assuming that is for 2x sole plate. But what if the sole plate is 3x? And while I'm on the nail subject, typically what should be the minimum penetration a nail should have? I'm guessing for a 16d nail about 1 1/2".....
Reply to
Christian Alvarez

That is correct. In the case of 3x plates the rule is to use (2) 30d nails, which are 4" long for commons and 3-3/4" long for sinkers.

16d commons are 3-1/2" long and 16d sinkers are 3-1/4" long. "Commons" are larger in diameter than the corresponding "sinker", e.g., a 16d common is 0.162" and a 16d "sinker" is 0.148".

The code is generally based on "common" nail dimensions, but load values can be adjusted for the use of "sinkers". For instance, a 10d common and a 16d sinker are interchangeable.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

As I gobble down a few buns, I wonder what code was applied to JC.

Reply to
o8TY

Generally, I've nailed the stud through the bottom of the upper plate before setting it on the base plate. Toe-nailing structural members was prohibited.

Reply to
Steve Kachaylo

Toe nailed connections are rated for both withdrawal and shear. End nailed connections are not rated for withdrawal. Refer to ANSI/AF&PA NDS-2001 (National Design Specification for Wood Construction). It's most likely part of your building code.

Reply to
brudgers

Very good hot cross buns for breakfast every Good Friday.

Seems like you are missing a treat.

Reply to
o8TY

So when was the last time you held onto, licked and bit into some buns like that? Looking and sniffing at the mall doesn't count ;^P

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

I should have guessed LOL.

And just how long has it been?

Do the ACAD curves still do it for you.

Reply to
o8TY

Hey, it's OK... I'm relegated to only sniffin', lookin' an' dreamin' too...

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA