Architecture

Don't just look at those photos! When I worked for a Wrightian Architect in the 70's, we occasionally set up our completed houses for photo shoots for publication. I remember one house in RI, where we took down a truckload of furniture and houseplants, put all the Owner's furniture in one bedroom, had a cleaning crew in, located the furniture according to the photog's directions, (look closely, same piece in several rooms) and moved plants around as required. We even had a model in to sit by the swimming pool. Costly? Yes, but that spread got us several more large commissions. If a house looks like a place where no one lives, that's because nobody does at the time of the photos. EDS

Reply to
eds

this complexity seems to stump a lot of people...just try to explain that to your local architecture critic!

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

"eds" wrote in news:mIWdnaFu3qcpqDjbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

That's an interesting point. Sort of like "staging" a house for sale, I suppose...

But I also meant some of the interior fixtures and integrated furniture - some of the furniture looks nifty, but also looks completely uncomfortable. I'm also not too sure about some of the floorplans - i'm of course looking at them from a more modern perspective, plus a *very* strong sense of what does and does not "work" for me in terms of efficiency and "traffic flow". But some of the layouts, some of the orientations/positions of certain rooms or areas, seems like ti could eb a bit difficult *for me personally* (can't speak for anyone else ;) ) to live comfortably with.

But I still love the look of Falling Water, and the Robie House =:-D

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Michael Bulatovich" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

I have little tolerance for, or interest in, the vast majority of any sort of critic. Too many sound rather, well, unintelligent to me, probably because so many of them resort to buzzwords and pop-phrases and misused terms that all end up have little, if any, real *meaning*.

It's not that the level of writing is "too elevated" for me to understand, either - I read, and can easily write, on a post-graduate level. My annoyance lies in the fact aht I *do* understand, and that I can see how much is just plain BS presented using $5 words and convoluted (and generally incorrect!!) grammatical constructs.

Reply to
Kris Krieger