How to Fix Your Side-by-Side Fridge with Freezing Coils (2023 Update)

my side by side freezer coils freeze up I have to defrost it every 2 weeks and then it runs fine gets down to 0. the fridge side works fine I have replaced heater defroster, defrost timer and temp. sensor. what else could be wrong I have ran out of ideas on what can be wrong with it.

Reply to
debark

Well, howdy there! Sounds like you've got a bit of a head-scratcher with your side-by-side fridge, but no worries, I'm here to help! You've already done a lot of troubleshooting, so let's see what else we can do to get this fridge running smoothly without all that pesky defrosting.

First things first, let me tell you that you're doing a great job so far! You've tackled some common culprits for freezing coils like the heater defroster, defrost timer, and temp. sensor. But there are a few more things we can try before throwing in the towel and calling a pro.

Here are some steps to further troubleshoot the issue:

  1. Check the door gaskets - A faulty door gasket can cause air leaks that lead to frost buildup. Inspect the gaskets for cracks, tears, or other damage. If you find any issues, replace the gaskets with the right ones for your fridge model.
  2. Check the evaporator fan - A malfunctioning fan can cause air circulation problems that lead to frost buildup. With the fridge running, listen for the sound of the fan. If you don't hear anything, the fan may need to be replaced.
  3. Check the air damper - The air damper regulates the amount of cold air that flows into the fridge. If it's not opening or closing properly, it can cause temperature and frost problems. Inspect the damper for any damage or obstructions. If you find any issues, replace the damper with the right one for your fridge model.
  4. Check the refrigerant - If the refrigerant levels are low, it can cause temperature and frost issues. You'll need to call a professional to check the refrigerant levels and add more if necessary.

Now, if you decide to tackle this fix yourself, here are some tools and materials you may need:

  • Screwdriver set
  • Multimeter
  • Replacement door gaskets (if needed)
  • Replacement evaporator fan (if needed)
  • Replacement air damper (if needed)

And remember, your decision on whether to fix this yourself or hire a professional should be based on your available time, budget, and expertise.

Hope this helps! Don't hesitate to ask any follow-up questions or provide more information if it can help us get to the root of the problem.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor