your favorite power tool

Page 1 of 2

I came across a few tools in my day and have tried many but I have a few favorites I have acquired over the years. It seems that once in a while a manufacturer makes one really nice item. Sometimes they are totally unavailable.
My favorite 3/8 drills are
Skil 3/8 air drill - Variable speed, lots of torque and feels great Milwaukee 3/8 VS 0222-1 Good power, decent balance, and a 0-3/8" chuck 1973 Skil Worm drive - too heavy but like holding a table saw in your hands What is your favorite power tool and why?
pierce
R. Pierce Butler wrote:

I teach HS, and a few years back I had a young lady in one of my classes named Makita. She was a nice kid, and after I got to know her a bit I asked her where she got her name. She answered that her father named her after his favorite drill.
Glen
Thats funny. We are naming our son Porter who is due this month. I know I am going to get crap from people who think it came from Porter-Cable. Honest, it didn't...I think... :)
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Porter is an admiral name. There are many tool names that would fit the bill nicely. Oppositely, if you were into trucks, Peterbilt would not make a great name although it would could be considered a part of the manufacturing process. :~)

Well, That's buggered up my keyboard and monitor! :o)
The Leon entity posted thusly:

A friend, named Peter, built an amphibious airplane (A Coot). One of his neighbours worked for Peterbilt, and gave him a little Peterbilt 'badge' to affix to the plane. He gets a lot of mileage out of the badge, let alone the plane.

Frontier with BMW logos.
You should see the looks that truck gets. <G>
Barry

At least his last name isn't "Cable"....
.....I hope...

Tell that to my brother DeWalt.
Matt
Matt Stachoni wrote:

    j4
Sat, Feb 25, 2006, 11:14am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@google.com (R.PierceButler) doth query: <snip> What is your favorite power tool and why? I think this is another one of those dumb threads, but what the Hell?, got nothing better to do at this moment.
Scrollsaw. Because it's versitile. Makes intricate cuts, or can follow a straight line. For what I do, I could get along without my bench saw, circular saw, bandsaw, and router, as long as I have the scrollsaw. Take quite a bit longer, be a minor PITA at the very least, but it could be done.
JOAT Well, aren't you just the most adorable black hole of need?
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:30:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Same here.
My answer?
ALL of them. Tools I don't like get put on eBay. <G>
If I need a flat board, it's my jointer. A curved cut? The band saw is my favorite then. I need to rout an ogee on an edge. Well, I guess my tablesaw won't be my favorite now... Get it?
Barry
Table saw. I use it more than any other power tool in the shop. It is accurate and asks very little in terms of tune-ups. I use my drill press a lot more than a hand-held drill.
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:14:23 GMT, "R. Pierce Butler"

R. Pierce Butler wrote:

Favorite piece of equipment-Unisaw
Dave

My hands. Organically powered, no releasing of bad smells or dust as they operate, built in sanding doneness sensors, and the feature you'll never find on any other shop tool: They regenerate after being damaged. (Ok, so cut a finger off and you're not getting it back...)
Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

Let me describe a faroite tool, not so much of the exact model, but of how it affected me.
I've been doing wooddorking for 25 years, using a $200 old Rockwell contractor's saw. Well, it died, and I was not able to fix it. I went into a bit of debt, and a lot of mental turmoil, and spend $$$$ for a nice cabinet saw. This was nearly 10 times the price I paid for a saw 20 years ago.
But when I got it, a transformation occurred over me. I could no longer blame my tools. This was a precision machine, and if my work looked crappy - it was my fault. I wowed to never again just slap something together. If I was going to build something, I would do my best. Instead of a hasty cut, I'd make a jig to make sure my cut was precise. I started upgrading my tools, with precision fences with fine-tuning adjustments. I tuned my saw using a TS-Aligner Junior. I built fences with T-slots, and starting making use of those T-slots for feather boards, hold downs, etc, etc,
I may not be able to make as many items as before, but I wowed to be proud of anything I built, because I knew I did it the best way I could manage.
My cabinet saw literally transformed my attitude to woodworking.
I love so many of them but I'm going to say my old PC330. If I'm using it I'm close to finishing. Also I've had this sander since the early 80's and other then replacing the base its like the eveready bunny. Mike M
On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:14:23 GMT, "R. Pierce Butler"

The one that shocked me the most as the most useful is my kreg pocket hole kit. I know pocket hole jigs have been around a lot longer than kreg, but I discovered them recently. I heard some people talk about how useful they were, so I picked one up almost as an impulse buy. I've been amazed by all the things I've made with it. I probably won't use it much on "real" furniture, but for the several shop projects I've made with it so far, It's been spectacular. Last night, I was dreading cutting a 4x8 sheet of plywood on the table saw because it would have to hang out in mid air. So in about 30 minutes, I threw together a small work table from 2x4s and a 2'x4' piece of melamine I had laying around. I made it the same height as the table saw. For small shop cabinets, I spend more time cutting the plywood than I do in assembly. My only complaint is a lack of dust collection which has been fixed in the latest version. For me, it's been well worth it.
brian
I have 2 that I really enjoy.... Bosch jigsaw and my Makita impact driver.
Bryan
R. Pierce Butler wrote:

Did you enjoy the wine and cheese this year?
Barry