Yet another table saw post...

Page 2 of 2

Pay a little extra and buy a Delta American made contractor saw. New (there still may be a few left) or used. All American made, Motor included. Will last a lifetime in hobby use. Can will it to you're heirs and they will probably still be able to get service parts unless B & D changes the Delta service philosophy.

It is very difficult now days to buy American in tools. I don't care if it's Delta or not. Even they have some of their stuff built in China. I would be inclined to buy from Taiwan. at least they are built in an ISO shop.

Difficult and moving rapidly toward impossible.
I don't care if it's

Yes they do.
I would be

Taiwan is better, but not because of ISO. ISO does not insure a quality product. ISO just says that you have a system that meets their minimum standards and then they audit you periodically to see if you follow the system. The system does not have to be relevant to your product and my experience is that the auditors nit pick things that are not relevant when they do their audits.
Taiwan is better because they have been doing it longer and we taught them how to do it. We, (and the Taiwanese broker/owners) will eventually teach the Chinese how to do it. And you and I will be in a service and and government transfer payment economy.
"The only way to create true wealth in terms of GDP growth is to take something that is mined or grown and add value to it" Dr. Green, Dean of the School of Business, USM, 1975.
Frank

Nayayers be damned! Look at the Craftsman 22114, 22124
Both wonderful hybrid saws.
22124 has Biesemeyer fence and a "full" cabinet.
I have the 22114 and love it.
<snip>
Thanks to all who responded!
There are indeed many options out there.
One of the newsgroups in which I lurk is rec.photo.35mm.equipment. Discussions of various brands of particular gear is both topical and... well, entertaining, I guess;) In comparing optics, it was said that there is more variation within a batch of lenses made by a given manufacturer than there is between those of the same specs by different manufactures. The general conclusion seemed to be that the more one paid, the less chance one had of getting a poorly made item, but that (except for Leicas, perhaps) the chance was always there.
Perhaps thats fair to say of most stuff, including table saws.
The small manufacturers probably have a better chance of maintaining real quality because of a lower rate of output means the possibility of a tighter, more quality oriented, manufacturing staff. Don't know, tho.
Clearly, overseas manufacture can be problematic, but I've seen really bad stuff made right here in the USA (automobiles come to mind...), so made American is not a guarantee. Brands owned by foreign manufacturing conglomerates typically do not represent dependable quality, and I get the impression this may be the case with most, if not all, traditionally US table saw manufacturers. Powermatic is long gone, and apparently now so is Delta.
It occurs to me that brands from other countries, especially smaller less high profile outfits, are much less likely to have been squeezed into compliance by a bottom-line oriented ownership. General Internation may be one of those.
Grizzly, IIUC, does not itself manufacture, but is very picky about the factories it buys from and demands a relatively high level of quality control.
I do know that Ryobi has a reputation for shoddy stuff, and so would expect that to perculate into Ridgid. I've read through several opinion sites, and found that the most recent opinions of several brands, Ridgid and Powermatic included, are markedly different from earlier posts. Talking years here: posts from 1999 to 2002/3 versus 2004/5.
If medical expenses hereabouts are reduced as expected, a new table saw is on the near horizon. I'll post here when (God forbid, not if) that happens.
Thanks again all!
Longfellow

Actually for tablesaws that is not particularly true. The design differences between saws ARE substantial, and as for achieving tolerances the saws are adjustable (even the best saw needs its alignment checked after shipping). For tablesaws you pay more for higher quality materials, higher quality machining, better electrical components. These contribute to longer life of the saw, easier adjustment and bragging rights, but you can get the same output (quality of cut) out of a moderately priced saw as you can from an expensive one.

Ah, okay. I should have thought that one through better.
Thanks for setting me straight!
Longfellow