Yankee screwdrivers question

Anyone know about these automatic wonders? Is there a website that explains all the models and histories?
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
AAvK wrote:

Don't have a clue about a website, but sold a bunch of them when I worked in a hardware store a long time ago.
You push, the screw driver bit turns via a helical path on the shaft, you pull back, the mechanism returns home via spring pressure.
Would turn clockwise, counter clockwise or stay locked depending on clutch position selection.
HTH
Lew

Thanks Lew! I was hoping it was that good. BTW, What does HTH mean?
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
AAvK wrote:

(H)ope (T)hat/This (H)elps
bkr
FYI, FWIW, Two sites: http://kb.indiana.edu/data/adkc.html?custc5619.79198.30
http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid26_gci211776,00.html
HTOH: PC World article:
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,88686,pg,1,00.asp
as they say IMHO, RTFM :)
Phil

Love 'em
Stanley are really badly made. Get a Spiralux instead. Don't buy antique ones, because the spirals do wear out with age.
The bigger the better. The Handyman with the 3" stroke was joke.
Racing a guy with a cordless screwdriver (although not auto-fed) my pump screwdriver could hang drywall sheets faster.
They make you appreciate crosshead screws instead of slots.
Lots of interesting news ways to injure your fingertips, and some of them leave really cool knurled scars.
If you just want one as a ratchet rather than a pump, then don't. Get a Snap-On hex bit driver instead (the long T handle is speediest). You'll need to sell the kids to pay for it, but it's worth it.
snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com says...

But if you can find an old Goodell-Pratt that isn't worn out, grab it. I've got one and an old (50 years?) Craftsman. Both work great.

Andy! You're back!
Would these happen to be Spiralux? http://www.lara.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?keywords=ez-yk Other than that, do you know a site where I can find one?
Also other than that, during about over an hour I couldn't find even a picture of one, nor even a past or current eBay auction. I wuill keep a lookout going.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
AAvK wrote:

Didn't see a link for them, nor do I have one I can find, but http://www.georgesbasement.com/index.html may have one buried in among the many there. Joe
Joe Gorman wrote:

Should have looked forst, got a few hits onalltheweb.com http://www.idcomm.com/personal/cfales/Sdpat_db.htm http://denali.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle/archive/get.phtml?message_idU709#message not sure if back issues are available http://www.eaiainfo.org/chronicleindexs.htm and there are still people out there getting rid of themhttp://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/handtools.pl?noframes%3BreadW604 Joe

http://denali.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle/archive/get.phtml?message_idU709#message
Thanks for the links Joe. I checked George's site and not one Spiralux is listed, nor any other yankee type. So when it comes time to buy one, I will check again, then ask.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Joe Gorman wrote:

George Langford, that's the man I was trying to remember. I sold him a breast drill a hunnert years ago. He's a pretty upright dude.
UA100

He gots an incredible website there too, I have gone through it several times before now. Currently no yankee types are listed there. Thanks UA100.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
AAvK wrote:

Yes there is but for the life a me I can't remember the key words (a man's name) to use to find it.
In the mean time I'd try the MWTCA (Midwest Tool Collector's Association) and see where that goes.
Also, some key words.
North Bros. Yankee (of course) Millers Falls (some of my favorites)
UA100, fond of Yankees for nearly his entire life...