Workshop inventory

I would like to compile an inventory of everything in my workshop and would like to know if somebody, perhaps, has such a list on Excel or other electronic format which I could copy.
Once I started with this process I realized just how long it is going to take and is now looking for a quick solution.
Any other advice would also be appreciated.
Thanks
Anton
Go to Microsoft & look at their templates: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx
or this page: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/results.aspx?Scope=TC&Query=inventory
JJS Alfa wrote:

What exactly do you need that is time consuming.
Just make column headings for things like: Item Date Purchased Cost Bought from Serial number
If you want to make notations such as warranty time just make another column. I made mine in about five minutes. I also had a total for my entire purchases. Ouch!
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Ditto. I also have a column for model number for those times I've needed to order parts from the internet or by phone and didn't have immediate access to the tool.
Tool purchases do add up ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

The dollar value of just my handplanes I added up the other day scared me!
Patriarch
Look for an Excel s/s that I sent you. It is a continuing work in progress and everyday I find something I left out ...
Alfa wrote:

What I did when I moved to my new shop was use this program called "Every thing I own". I recorded what it was the model, serial number then snapped a pic of it as well.
Took a bit of time to do but worth its weight in gold in something were to ever happen to the shop.

I made a shop inventory on the advise of the insurance man. I had guessed the ballpark total value of all tools in the shop. I made 100 photographs that included everything, down to drill sets, screwdriver bits ets. Next, I made a list in Excel of everything in each photo and included a rough replacement cost for each item. Amazing how those little things add up. My initial estimate was low by half! Dave

My
No kidding! I inventoried my tools a few years ago. I had over $10,000 in non-powered hand tools! Then add to it all the tailed tools! I need to get out and revise it as the collection has increased considerably. Greg
Alfa wrote:

There were several programs I found back in the mid to late 90's that I used a lot. One was a shop inventory program. You could list all your tools, model, serial, cost. I was amazed by how much money I had in tools when I used it. I'll look around in my archives and if I find it I'll post it to the wood binaries group or a web page.
Jody wrote:

Well I found it. It was The EasyShop Tool Journal. It's 1.6M and was shareware. The company is no longer around. The program can be found: http://www.inthewoodshop.org/software/p3u7p3.zip
Something that you can do quickly is take a photo inventory.
It's not as detailed or precise as a written inventory, but it's quick to do, and as thorough as you choose to make it (e.g., open cabinets and drawers to photograph their contents.)
In the long run you'll probably want a written list, but this will get you started and it will provide evidence of what you own in case you ever need it for insurance reasons.
wrote:

Published e-mail address is for spam collection only. If e-mailing me, use jc631 at optonline dot net
-- jc
The pictures are a good idea. I hope the list can be password protected so my wife doesn't add it up one day.(:>)