Working Spalted Wood - A Caution

When working spalted wood be extra careful to avoid kicking up and breathing any wood dust. Mold spores in your lungs can be a nasty experience.

Joel

Reply to
Joel Jacobson

On that same note, thought I'd mention the following in case some are not aware of the danger, which had never dawned on me before.

I am just now getting over almost two months of "lung infection" ... which was a little bit too much of a catchall diagnosis for my skeptical nature.

I was pretty well convinced in my own mind that it was related to wood dust, although I'd never had a problem before. Although the doctor's kept ignoring me when I brought it up, visions of having to give up woodworking kept popping into my head. I stayed out of the shop in any case for the duration.

Just this past week they believe they isolated the culprit. Going back over my actions, I had cleaned out the barbecue pit two days prior to the first symptoms. Come to find out, breathing charcoal dust from a barbecue pit is almost guaranteed to give you a lung infection, young or old. The pulmonary function folks said that just the act of tipping over a barbecue pit and dumping the dust is responsible for a large percentage of their business.

I've found another use for my dust mask real quick.

Reply to
Swingman

Spores are in the fruiting bodies - mushrooms. Darwin would certainly exact a heavy price on any species which tried to spread by burying its spores inside solids. Don't play with the bark.

Now as to the toxins produced by the mycelium - what you're seeing - to preserve their chow from competing bacteria, they're our antibiotics, and, as you know, some powerful allergens to boot.

Reply to
George

Now that's an interesting point, a species that relies on woodworkers to cut the wood open and spread the spores. Sort of like tapeworms relying of dogs swallowing fleas as they groom--the tapewrom larvae infest fleas.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt