Workbench design questions

I am designing a workbench. I want to have two pullout cabinets on casters that store tools yet fit under the bench itself. What I would like is a way to raise the table on the pullout cabinets so that I can use benchtop tools at my height. Any suggestions would be great.

BTW, I want to use retractable casters for the main bench as well. Has anyone done this and what is recommended size for the caster?

Keith

Reply to
Keith Bozek

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Keith Bozek) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

So this bench is going to look somewhat different than the workbench that I built. Not that it is a beauty, or a work of art, but I get by with it. I think it was a ShopNotes design, somewhat modified, from a couple of summers ago. But I digress. It's a heavy rascal, intentionally, so that it doesn't go wandering when I've got stuff clamped to it. Piling jigs, bench hooks, and sharpening station under it also add to the mass. I don't think I'd LIKE to have wheels under it. But that's just me. And this isn't the 'ultimate bench', nor my last one.

My good woodworking neighbor buddy, however, had many of the same design criteria you listed. He wanted all of his benchtop tools to have a place be secured at working height, but have hidey holes when they are not needed for the current project. A couple of months ago, he brought home a rack full of square tube steel, fired up the wire welder, and built a rolling bench, oh, about the size of your average pool table. The top features what looks like bench dog holes, for clamping down baseplates, which he has attached to the scroll saw, or miter saw, or small drill press, or similar sized power tools. When not 'in dock', these reside, IIRC, in bays under one side. Heavy duty drawers line the other. And it all rides on HUGE locking casters.

I guess it all depends on what you do. I don't think my neighbor buddy even OWNS a handplane. All his tools have got tails or batteries.

That's not a criticsm. Everybody does different stuff. All weekend, we wander back and forth, and ask questions and opinions. I'm better because we talk all the time.

Have fun with your design. It can be done.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Hi,

We just moved into our newly built home. It isn't huge about 1600 sq feet. I have a 10x19 space for the shop. I like the idea of a pull out configuration. I have not yet decided but it seems to work the layout.

Thanks for the feedback.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Bozek