Woods for Outdoors

How about Iroko? I think it has durability similar to that of Teak, but is _much_ cheaper.

Reply to
Rob Bowman

This is a little off-topic, but: I'd like to fill in some knot-holes in fascia boards on the front of my house to improve their appearance. Can I just clean up the holes, use Bondo (or wood putty, or something like that) and paint over the repairs? I'm worried about creating conditions that will encourage dry rot. N.b. The surfaces to be repaired are vertical, and exposed to the weather.

Cheers, Abe

Reply to
Abe

I had a woodpecker peck some holes through the 1x6 cedar siding in the gable end of my old house. I think it was something like "Rock Hard", a powdered product you mix with water that I used to fill the holes. I worked great and took the house stain OK.

The woodpecker almost broke his pecker when he came back and tried to go through that stuff.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Doug -- thanks. I'll see if I can find some "Rock Hard". N.b. I love woodpeckers, but the little buggers can certainly be troublesome.

Reply to
Abe

I had one that insisted one doing machine gun practice on the downspout outside my bedroom window at daybreak every day. Grrrrrr

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

The product you are thinking of may be "Durham's Water Putty" IIRC it says something about drying rock hard on the label.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman