Wood storage rack?

Page 1 of 2
Hello all,
As some of you know I am setting up a new shop in the basement of my new to me home. I am looking for suggestions on wood storage racks. I have seen some where people are using pipes drilled into vertical pieces of wood, I have seen some very strong shelf brackets (these I priced out and it would be about $400,00 Canadian). Any suggestions would be appreciated. If anybody has pictures as well, maybe you could post them on the binaries site.
Looking forward to the input,
Blair
I built some racks from an idea in a Better Homes and Garden Handyman book. They are made from 2x4's and 1x4's. They are incredibly strong and simple for storing long stock. I liked these plans because it made use of some very old construction grade wood that I would never use for anything "nice". They hang along the walls, high enough not to interfere with bench tools. If this sounds like something you might be interested in, I'll take a picture and post some dimensions for you.
Bob

Bob, please do. I have space in the garage that I want to use for a lumber rack above my current area I have for a workbench.
Thanks Alan
Sorry, I saw this reply late tonight and my energy won't support taking a picture, but I will do it tomorrow for sure.
Bob

I have built several racks that are a variation of what is described here so far. Take a look at the description and the picture:
http://www.woodworkinghobby.com/html/lumber_rack.html
This one is 15 feet wide with three uprights. They are made simply from 2 x 4 's sandwiched between 1 x 4's with the cantilevered 2 x4 arms filling the gaps between the sections of 2 x4 filler. The sandwich is glued and shot with finish nails. The uprights are secured to the studs with recessed lag bolts at bottom, middle, and top. The uprights rest on the shop floor and extend almost to the 8 foot ceiling.
Regards,
Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker www.woodworkinghobby.com

Bob, please do. I have space in the garage that I want to use for a lumber rack above my current area I have for a workbench.
Thanks Alan
Please do Bob, I'd like to see them.
Blair

: Hello all,
: As some of you know I am setting up a new shop in the basement of my new to : me home. I am looking for suggestions on wood storage racks. I have seen : some where people are using pipes drilled into vertical pieces of wood, I : have seen some very strong shelf brackets (these I priced out and it would : be about $400,00 Canadian). Any suggestions would be appreciated. If : anybody has pictures as well, maybe you could post them on the binaries : site.
I use Lee Valley's excellent heavy-duty shelf system. Highly recommended
--
Andy Barss

I just posted woodrack.pdf to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. I havent built it, just happened to have the file on hand. Looks like it would do the job ok.
Hi Blair, We just put up my rack. It is made from about $130 CDN of steel tubing and holds about 750 bd. ft. It is made of 5 identical elements spaces about 21" part. To make each element we welded a 2' section of 1.5" tubing to a 7.5' piece. Looks like an "L" from the side. We then welded 4 - 2' fingers of 1" tubing every 16" . An element now looks like a double "E" from the side. We originally used only 4 elements but found that the weight of 160 bd. ft. of white oak was too much for one of the fingers so me made the 5th element. Sorry, i do not have a camera. Hope this is of some help, Cheers, JG
Blair wrote:

There are some plans for a wood storage in PDF format on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking They were posted today.
If you would rather build a mobile wood rack, check WOOD #144 Oct 2002, page 72-73. 4 shelves roughly 2'x8' built of 2x4s and 1/2" ply with heavy-duty casters. I built one and it fits my current needs. Holds a bunch of stock and moves easily when needed. I may look into adding some means of holding some sheet goods on the sides.
Good luck on whatever route you decide to take.
DexAZ

Blair wrote:

Mine use 2x4s and 1/2" ply 'arms':
http://christophermerrill.net/ww/shop/storage1.html
I can't claim credit for the design - I actually salvaged many of the parts from a rack that came with a lumber purchase. It is suprisingly strong. I would not have guessed those little arms can hold so much weight - but after doing pullups on them, I calculated that I was pretty safe :>
Good luck! C
--
************************************
Chris Merrill

I really like adjustable shelving and settled on Sterling standards I saw at the local home store. Sturdy, inexpensive, galv plated, nice.
http://www.google.com/search?&q=sterling+shelf+brackets
Oddly enough, the www.johnsterling.com domain has expired?!
Pictures here: (and better prices than I paid) <http://www.cornerhardware.com/cat_1741/Hardware/Shelving-Storage/Sterling-Brackets-Standards.html
Larry Jaques wrote:

<http://www.cornerhardware.com/cat_1741/Hardware/Shelving-Storage/Sterling-Brackets-Standards.html If you want some heavy duty lumber racking check out the hardware used as cable racking in manholes (especially if you know someone that works for a telephone company):
http://www.condux.com/products/undrgrnd/otherproducts/manholeequip/page1.htm
Wood Magazine had a nice one listed in their freebie last month. I think they now want around 6 or 8 bucks for the plan.

rackets-Standards.html>

This exact stuff is sold by Woodcraft and Lee Valley.
From what I know after 20 years at a phone company, the telcos probably pay double for it. <G> FWIW, this stuff is STRONG! Some old cables are coated with lead and are extremely heavy per foot, and even the newer stuff is much heavier per foot than wood.
Barry
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote:

I know. I believe it's less expensive if ordered directly from the supplier.

After more than 34 years with a telco I have to agree. Easily double, at least on paper.

I was checking out the site and didn't see anything about retail sales. Have you ordered from them? I wonder if they have minimum purchase requirements.
Barry
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote:

Hi Barry,
I haven't ordered from them. Working outside cable maintenance, I've always been able to scrounge (or beg) what ever I've needed. If you'd like, I can contact our construction engineer and see if he can recommend someone who sells racking in small quantities.