wood screws

Page 4 of 4

How many care if a drywall screw has a buggered head.
On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 23:24:07 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Many people if it's not inserted properly. A properly constructed drywall screw cams out very easily when inserted by a professional installer. Speed of installation and proper screw depth are an important thing to people who earn their living by installing drywall.
"Dave" wrote in message

Many people if it's not inserted properly. A properly constructed drywall screw cams out very easily when inserted by a professional installer. Speed of installation and proper screw depth are an important thing to people who earn their living by installing drywall.
------------------------- Drywall screws do not use a Philips head but rather a Frearson that looks the same to the untrained eye.
mike
On 7/5/2011 9:16 AM, m II wrote:

Looks the same to my "trained eye" as well. To be sure, I just went and compared one of my drywall screw heads to a Mcfeely's Phillips head wood screw, and they looked identical to me. Then a DAGS and found a million sellers identifying drywall screws as "Phillips" head. I admit my eyes ain't what they once were, but right now, I'm a bit skeptical.
--
Jack
When fish are in schools they sometimes take debate.
"Jack Stein" wrote in message Looks the same to my "trained eye" as well. To be sure, I just went and compared one of my drywall screw heads to a Mcfeely's Phillips head wood screw, and they looked identical to me. Then a DAGS and found a million sellers identifying drywall screws as "Phillips" head. I admit my eyes ain't what they once were, but right now, I'm a bit skeptical.
--
On 7/5/2011 9:16 AM, m II wrote:
Drywall screws do not use a Philips head but rather a Frearson that looks
On 7/5/2011 12:24 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

The same number of people that use them. That's probably why they make'm so the heads don't "bugger".
--
Jack
Probably not original Phillips head design anyway.
"Jack Stein" wrote in message wrote: How many care if a drywall screw has a buggered head.
On 7/7/11 6:19 AM, m II wrote:

http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips-Plus-So-Much-Mor/step51/ACRreg-Phillipsreg /
Great link... bookmarked.
By the way, I'm still waiting for some evidence to support your allegations. Or an apology. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 7/4/2011 3:21 PM, Eric wrote:

Well the design fails as I seldom strip out a head, never on a drywall screw, and have driven screws deep into wood, and have broken high quality SS deck screws without ramping out of the slot. They may not be as good as a Robertson, or a number of other designs, but certainly good enough.

Not quite yet, at least not in the US. When standard Swiss Army knife comes with a Robertson driver instead of a Phillips, I'll believe the Robertson is gaining ground:-)

I've seen all those and used many of them, still prefer Phillips for the same reason the Swiss Army Knife comes with a Phillips rather than say a TP3 or even a Robertson...
--
Jack
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Steve Barker wrote the following:

I use SS screws outdoors or indoors. They don't rust and can be reused. They come with various head drives like square, star and phillips.The only drawback is that they are more expensive than regular screws.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

These work well for me. (in different sizes as needed)
Max http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/0810-FMY/Flat-Head-Steel-Yellow-Zinc-Screws
On 6/29/2011 12:02 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

Quit using Rockler's screws for critical applications, like joining Face Frames ... simply snapped too damn many in the process.
For general purpose, where if one snaps it's not a big deal, they're OK.
I tend to buy bulk whenever I buy them and, for critical applications, try to get them from a local cabinet supply shop, or tool supplier, as they seem to have the better quality screws in bulk than most national chains, like Rockler, WoodCraft, etc.
FWIW & IME, good places in Houston to buy screws are Circle Saw, CornerStone Hardware and Louis & Co.
That said, in this day and age, that could change tomorrow.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Steve Barker wrote:

Don't think screws are made in the US anymore!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
On 6/29/2011 12:02 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

I would like to thank everyone for their replies. I realize it's gonna be hard to find an American made product. I'm mainly interested in getting something that won't strip out if i have the pilot hole a bit small or not deep enough. I'm just getting started in this wood working thing at 53 years old I've got a fairly decent table saw, a million year old (but tight) radial arm saw and a nice new dewalt planer. I'm currently working on fixing up a jointer. I have 500+ board feet of red oak, purchased at a cost of 72 cents (yes, seventy-two cents) per bd ft. I'm looking forward to making some things for around the house. Nothing fancy, no ornate furniture and the like. I love red oak and real lacquer.
--
Steve Barker
Stainless cap screws, allen drive. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Stainless cap screws, allen drive. Pix:
http://patwarner.com/images/tsweb4767.jpg