Wood bathtub

Okay, well the tub isn't actually wood but I am planning to make the vertical surfaces of my tub surround wood. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding wood type and especially finish. I'm thinking an application used in the boating industry would work well.
2b
Ipe,mahogany,white oak,cedar,redwood and even that new PVC wood would work.
2b wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

Is that plantation grown PVC or certified old growth? Joe
That's "old growth" milk jugs it was made from. The new plastic wood might even have the distinction of actually costing more than the real thing due to oil thing.
Even the "Norm" has done a little dabbling in the new pvc wood of late. Recent show on storage shed showed a fair amount of pvc showing up.
Joe Gorman wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

Don't forget cypress and/or teak.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

My grandmother lives next to a Japanese man who has a genuine wood tub from Japan. He has been using it almost daily, even in the snow for as long as she has lived there 22 years. I asked once and he told me it was teak and Japanese pine but it looks very dark almost black.
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

I gather that either he bathes outdoors or he has an open roof over his bathroom.

Hmm, does he ever wash out the tub...
--

FF

On 28 Apr 2006 10:14:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

It's outdoors right against his house. He has a small roof over it and the door into his home but the snow falls only a foot away from the tub. It's very private, you must be invited into his garden to even see it but you can hear him sing when he's in the tub (hilarious) and can see the steam rise when he drains the tub into his yard from my grandmothers kitchen window.

His house and yard are immaculate so I suspect he gives the tub the care it requires. I've not seen the inside of the tub because it has a lid.
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

Linseed oil would turn it black after a while. ISTR that in Asia wooden toilet seats were often finished with a black lacquer--wonder if that lacquer is water-resistant.
--

FF

why is it he drains it into his yard from your grandma's window?
On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 23:56:04 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ross Hebeisen) wrote:

I'll ask him.:)

That's *easy*! He doesn't want to track up the hallway by going out the door.
<*BSEG*>
I would suggest that boating industry is the wrong place to look. If you want a beautiful varnished surface be prepared to revarnish every year. Boat = Bucks. On the other hand if you like to varnish like I do, by all means, go for a teak or mahogany tub surround but you have been forwarned. Annual maintenance is required, miss a year and you will be sorry. Dave

Petrified.
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Calm down.. things are not as scary as they sometimes appear.

I'm assuming you haven't looked in the mirror lately?