Which Planer

Page 1 of 2
I have been renting a house for a while and in an apartment for the last year and my tools have been packed up in storage. In another week I am closing on a house and finally get to set my shop back up. I used to have a DW734 and hated it. Too much snipe and just never felt good about it.....so I sold it, and now I need to replace it. I've been looking at the DW735 and have heard great things about it. Was recently looking at reviews and almost everyone complained about the noise level. Some said that even with hearing protection it was too loud.
With that said, I'd like to hear some feedback from people using the DW735 and what they think of the noise level. I live alone so I'm only worried about my ears, not bothering anyone else. I'd be particularly interested in hearing from people who have the DW735 but have used other planers to get a comparison.
I have also heard that switching between speeds is a bit tricky so any thoughts on that?
And as a last request, if anyone is happy with their planer (non- DW735) and think they get high quality results, please let me know. I was considering the Delta as an alternative.
Thanks

I have the Ridgid 4330, and I get *fantastic* results, but ....
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_WVVYjLCNo2w/S8Ibb6rCc6I/AAAAAAAAA9Q/zjkS2e7P18k/s512/scan.jpg
The DW735 is the sweetheart of the benchtop planers. If need be, stick foam ear plugs IN your ears, and then ear muffs ON your ears.
;-)

I have a DW735 but don't use ear protection around it. I'd likely use muffs if I were going to run it all day, but I wouldn't much enjoy putting 1000bf through it anyway. ;-)

No help. I like the DW735, though. I have it mounted on a Delta planer/miter saw stand. Works out great.

Tricky? It's a simple lever.

On 04/12/2010 10:38 AM, Ron S wrote:

I can't see it being much louder than other planers with universal motors.
The more common complaint I've heard is that the knives dull quickly. I recently bought a stationary planer with carbide cutterhead. Much quieter than my old benchtop and less tearout.
Chris

What brand\model?
On 04/12/2010 11:01 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Mine is a Canwood. Basically the same as Pioneer but branded for the canadian market. Seems to be essentially identical to the Jet JWP-15HH.
Chris

Hmm, haven't heard of either brand but did look at the Jet (just now). Have you done any adjustment with the bed rollers and how is that working out? That is my biggest grip withthese mid range planers. They could be such better machines with better bed roll adjustment capabilities.

What sort of adjustment capabilities were you thinking of? Mine are on jack screws so I set them a couple thou above the bed.
Chris

What most of these units have is an ecentric busing at each end with a set screw. This means you have to get down inside the machine and go back and forth until you finally get it set evenly at the desired height. This does in theory make it possible to set them exactly as you want. The problems being: - Making a quick adjustment is not really possible - Once you set them at a given place you usually create a detent in the bushing so it always wants to settel back to that location of you reset it.
Yes, setting them a few thou above the table is the correct setting if you have fairly smooth wood. However, for rougher stock you want to bump it up to like 10 thou for smooth feeding (at the cost of extra snipe). This is just not possible with this type of setting. High end planer have a fine adjustment hand wheel on the front of the unit and it makes this a breeze. The only folks that have this feature on a smaller planer that I have seen is Woodtek (woodworkers supply?) on their 20" for like $2 or $3k I think.
Just my pet peeve. I did see tha the Steel City folks added a little wing on the end of the shaft of the bed rollers that makes it real easy to dial in the height but they have the same set screw to busing lock down mech.
[...]

I think it's a loud SOB, definitely the loudest tool in my shop. We live in town, but the lots are large and the nearest neighbor is about 75 yards away, and my shop is in the basement. If your shop is in the garage, and your next door neighbor's house is only 30 feet away, he won't be happy if you're running a DW735 early in the morning or late at night.

*Anything* with a high-speed universal motor is going to be noisy. But the DW735 is probably louder than most. Definitely louder than the 12.5" Delta it replaced. Ear protection is a must.

Naaaa. It's easy as can be. Just flip a lever. The only thing even remotely "tricky" about it is that the machine has to be running to change speeds.

I live in a townhouse in Northern VA and work in my garage on the ground floor. My Wife can tolerate the DW735 in the Family Room directly over the garage, She said the JDSAir Tech 750 dust filter bugs her more. My neighbors come over and talk any time they catch me in the shop, they have never commented on noise. One of them does ride a Harley...

I'm retired from the Navy and still use the wood shops on the bases (Boling AFB in DC has a superb shop), so the only comparision is against huge (24 inch) planers. But I'm pretty happy with the performance of the DW735. Jack

I could not be more pleased, and I'd strongly suggest that you get the in-feed & out-feed tables with it.

It's no problem with top notch protection. I got a pair of "ear muffs" sold by Stihl - they're 25 dB while most others are about 18 dB. I figure that the hearing I've got left is worth a few bucks more. Since hearing damage is cumulative, it's beyond me why anyone would not wear hearing protection.

As others have pointed out - it's easy, but the machine must be running.

Yes, absolutely. I have the Grizzly G0453 planer and the Grizzly G0440 dust collector. I don't know how many decibels these things kick out (Grizzly doesn't say in their data sheets), but it's a LOT, and I would think that just turning either machine ON (without running anything through them) would be enough noise to warrant ear protection. Because it has an induction motor this planer is relatively quiet compared to the lunchbox models with universal motors, but that ain't even half the story. I don't know what other planers sound like when you hook them up to dust collection, but the noise level on this one increases SIGNIFICANTLY when that monster collector is sucking air past the spinning knives. The planer ROARS when the collector is running (which it always is; running a planer without dust collection is madness), and that's before I even start milling wood. I can't imagine the hearing damage you would incur if you didn't wear ear protection while running a planer...
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
wrote:>

My stationary Delta is louder when the collector is running and attached. Still quieter than the typical lunch box and or shop vac. :!)

Believe it or not, the foam plugs you roll up and let expand in your ear cut 33 db... I was shocked.
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:26:37 -0500, the infamous "Leon"

Yeah, they work very well. But don't use the hard foam style, like HF sells. they're uncomfortable and don't dampen noise as well. The soft, orange plugs in a bell shape work the best for me, installed with the wide part of the bell inside. I sleep with earplugs and they don't hurt if they're installed backwards like that. I sleep on my side.
The $2 HF earmuffs work well, too, but I upgraded to their electronic muffs. They give you the ambient sound until a loud noise hits, then it immediately cuts out, in milli- or microseconds. They're $15 on sale quite often and work well at the range. Just me and my tinnitus, with the occasional soft pop just before something disintegrates downrange.
For hard rock concerts, wear both plugs and muffs and the sound is wonderful. ;)
-- Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. -- John Muir

My son picked up an 8 or 10 pack at Walgreens for about $4 IIRC, he needed something that worked well for the NHRA drag races this last week end. He said they worked well but the roar of the engines would shake the fillings out of your teeth.

I still use the same style muffs that you mentioned above as I too want to hear the regular sounds but cut out the occasional loud noise. I have to had to spend more for mine to get a pair that will actually fit comfortabley over a cap. Most ear muff that I put on will not seal properly.

We attended a "Chicago" concert last week. I wore the earplugs. My wife really enjoyed the performance. {:-(
Max
wrote

Having attended many more concerts than I can remember back in the 70's and early 80's I don't need hearing protection any more. ;~)
Believe it or not my wife fell asleep during an Eagles concert.
"Leon" wrote

I can relate.
Lew