Which orientation for grain of oak privacy panel at back of desk?

Hmmm...If I get a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" oak plywood, to have enough to do the sides and back panel, I'd have to run the back panel with the grain horizontal. Is that dorky? I know when you place wood on the front of a cabinet you but the cathedrals pointing up. However, since it's the back of the desk, I'm wondering how a careful woodworker, or a major manufacturer would orient the oak plywood. The panel will show underneath the desk, and would only show if it was moved away from the wall. I'm trying to establish proper building techniques and aesthetics.

TIA

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Thu, Aug 28, 2003, 9:03pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bay=A0Area=A0Dave) says: The panel will show underneath the desk, and would only show if it was moved away from the wall.

I thought of this, just as I hit the key, before. If the desk will be against a wall, a privacy panel would be redundant. So why worry about it at all? I've seen many supposedly top-end desks with no privacy panel at all.

Next, I'm wondering, if this desk is for you, why a privacy panel at all? Please, please, don't answer that.

JOAT If we're all God's children, what's so special about Jesus?

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Aug 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

it' really just for rigidity...and don't go THERE! :)

dave

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

You seem to think that a designing furniture and building furniture is the same thing. You're wrong. A friend of mine is a architect, but judging by the woodworking projects he has done in his own home, he is not an especially good woodworker. On the other hand, most of the guys who construct the buildings he designs wouldn't know where to start if they had to put on the architect's hat.

Some woodworkers are excellent designers too. All of us modify stock plans to better suit our purposes but most of us don't have the time (even if those who have the skill or inclination) to both design and build.

Woodworkers who work from plans are not imitators; the are producers who transform unrefined materials into a finished object. An imitator would be someone who draws up a plan copied from the plans of another designer.

Most professional musicians do not compose the music they play. They produce music by following plans (sheet music) drawn up by composers. When a great musician come to town and plays Bach, Mozart or even John Phillip Sousa, do you consider that musician to be an imitator?

Reply to
K.-Benoit Evans

The usual name for this is a "modesty panel". They are in demand when short skirts are in fashion and companies use an open office configuration, without cubicles or closed offices. They are usually sold as optional add-ons.

Reply to
K.-Benoit Evans

I must take issue with your response to my previous post.

Number one, you oversimplified my statements. To wit, I DON'T think designing is the same as building. I think a professional woodworker, or serious, advanced amateur hobbyist would be able to complete SOME project, SOME time without resorting to following plans to a "T". Granted, using plans is a good thing, but I SPECIFICALLY spoke to the distinction between the two extremes. Try to read more thoroughly, to avoid these unpleasant exchanges.

Secondly, I consider Mozart or Bach to far beyond the expertise level of your average musician! Note that I am not being disrespectful of your "average musician", but rather that I distinguish the difference between the two levels of accomplishments

dave

K.-Benoit Evans wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

we stand CORRECTED.

dave

K.-Benoit Evans wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I don't think I'd make the distinction the same way. Woodworking is about skill and execution. Passing judgement on whether someone is a "seasoned woodworker" or not, I would put more weight on the quality of the joinery, the finish, and overall asthetics of wood choice and placement than on whether the craftman was following plans to the letter or not.

I almost never look at plans, and I like to make stuff up by the seat of my pants as I go along, but I'm a hack woodworker. Just because I'm creative doesn't mean I'm any damn good at joinery, or at finishing, or at myriad other processes.

I see creativity as the big difference. If I draw my own thing and paint it to the best of my ability, is it a better painting than an absolutely perfect verbatim paint-by-numbers copy of a great work by a master? It shows more _creativity_, but perhaps my best conception and execution isn't ultimately as good looking as a well-done paint by numbers.

For me, the process is more important than the result. It's less important how it looks than the satisfaction I get from its having sprung forth from my own mind. That's my thing, and I don't expect everyone to do things my way.

Reply to
Silvan

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:45:01 -0400, Silvan pixelated:

When will you guys stop feeding the damned trolls? Just about every post BAD has made has brought on half a dozen replies disputing his statement. Don't you guys realize that he's only here to troll.

Crikey, buy a clue!

DFTFT DFTFT DFTFT

- - - Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever. ---

Website Application Programming for YOU!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry, I'm sure most of the Wreck has killfiled you, so why bother to type anything? Your crusade is pathetic, as are you. Go use your most dangerous tool, while drunk, with the lights out. If you make it through 8 hours of shop time in that fashion, come on back and post some more of your bull crap. YOU are the troll. I answer questions, I ASK questions, and I inject humor, mostly to counteract the likes of folks such as yourself. I bet in real life, you are even a bigger DS than you are here.

Bite me!

dave

Larry Jaques wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 19:54:36 GMT, Scott Cramer pixelated:

Thanks for quoting his spew for me. It's nice to be needed.

I can't believe how many suckers he's found to reply to his trash. I'm startin' to plonk any repliers, so Jums may be next if he keeps up this horsepuckey.

his head unnoticed and he won't even find the page he needs "Living with your Period". C'est la LePieu.

Scott: How's that tee workin' for ya?

- - - Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever. ---

Website Application Programming for YOU!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 29 Aug 2003, Larry Jaques spake unto rec.woodworking:

You really shouldn't plonk him, Larry. His moronic posts push everybody else here further to the right on the bell curve. It's like double cappucino of self-esteem to realize you aren't him.

The "My Other Body is a Triathlete" shirt gets worn regularly, and is holding up well, thanks. But I get quizzical looks. I guess folks don't catch the subtle difference between the body of an Adonis and the body of a triathlete. Ah well.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Wouldn't you be more proud of a modest result of your original painting skills, versus a well executed paint-by-number copy of the Mona Lisa? I'd have more interest in the painting and respect for the person who attempted the original painting, as opposed to looking at a copy of the ML. Who cares if the ML is "better looking". It's all in the eye of the beholder anyway. I've seen plenty of multi million dollar artwork that I wouldn't hang in my house if they paid me.

dave

Silvan wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Thu, Aug 28, 2003, 10:21pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bay=A0Area=A0Dave) burbles: I would expect a woodworker to be somewhat "self sufficient". So that means I'm NOT a woodworker; I'm a wane, at this point. But so what, I don't find that demeaning; it's merely FACT.

Self-sufficient \Self`-suf*fi"cient\, a. 1. Sufficient for one's self without external aid or co["o]peration. Neglect of friends can never be proved rational till we prove the person using it omnipotent and self-sufficient, and such as can never need any mortal assistance. --South.

  1. Having an overweening confidence in one's own abilities or worth; hence, haughty; overbearing. ``A rash and self-sufficient manner.'' --I. Watts.

Wane \Wane\, n. 1. The decrease of the illuminated part of the moon to the eye of a spectator.

  1. Decline; failure; diminution; decrease; declension.

JOAT If we're all God's children, what's so special about Jesus?

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Aug 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 22:04:19 GMT, Larry Jaques Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

snip

roflmao. . . and he seems to think you are the killfiled one?

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 11:20:19 GMT, "Groggy" pixelated:

Tanks, Grogs. Mind if I bring the ammonia with me? I want to remove that minwhacked stuff from my area and clean the paraKeeter's cage.

- Gently-used Firestone tires for sale at discount! -----------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

i'm sure that Wreckers throughout the galaxy are quaking in their steel toed boots that you will plonk them. They would be crushed if they thought that YOU wouldn't read their posts. They live for YOU, Cramer!

Scott Cramer wrote: snip stupid Cramer crap

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On 04 Sep 2003, Bay Area Dave whined:

Uh, Dave... *I'm* not the one who feels the need to issue a press release to the Wreck whenever someone gets added to my killfile.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Tail Gunner Dave. I'm still giggling over that one.

Thanks Tom.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I aim to please...or maybe I'm just aiming...

dave

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave