Which Hand Plane Next?

Page 1 of 2
Although there is "never enough money" for a tool collector like me, I have permission from SWMBO to purchase another hand plane (she gets an equivalently valued item as part of the deal).
I already have the following: Lie-Nielson adjustable mouth bench plane Lee Valley Veritas Medium shoulder plane Steve Knight coffin smoother (it's on order) Lie-Nielson 4.5 bench plane Lie-Nielson small chisel plane
Now I'm considering: The new Lee Valley Veritas bullnose shoulder plane Lie-Nielson skew block plane an edge plane from LN or LV. a joiner from LN, LV, of Knight toolworks. ECE moving fillister
Replies from Mr. Lee and Mr. Knight are welcomed but will probably be considered ever so slightly biased.
Given that I'm doing a lot of tenon and mortises, rabbits, and dados, I suspect the joiner planes are a lower priority. Besides I have a electric 6" joiner. My router, joiner, planer, and table saw gets me most of the way, I just clean up afterward with handtools..... The woods I use are maple, lyptus, and occassionally zebrawood and white oak. Have not tried other woods (yet). I use a lot of the birch veneer plywood (the good stuff with 14 layers) for panels.
What say y'all? I'm itching to spend a couple hundred dollars but to maximize my investment.
A Stanley 248a dado and groover ay? With all the blades? Alex
On 15 Sep 2004 10:22:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

So save it, or buy some timber.
The only thing you seem to be missing there is a LV low angle block (I put more miles on this than any other plane) and a scraper plane (#112 or #80) to take the planer marks off your timber.
--
Smert' spamionam

I have a Veritas scraper, I forgot to mention... Thanks. I do not have a scraper plane, they look nice although I've heard they're tricky to use.....
Regarding timber, I've got stacks of "I'll use this beautiful wood someday" in my garage. So your other option ("save it") might be the best chioce of all....
(Never Enough

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote in

A cool set of chisels?
And how much use do you get from the LN small chisel plane? I bought one, because I really needed it for one special project, but haven't picked it up since, except to clean around it.
Patriarch
Oh, I use the chisel plane mostly to pick glue out of corners. Also to help trim up pieces AFTER they are built. It is not used often but neither are my other planes. I only build about two pieces of furniture a year.
Just which chisels are you recommending?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote in

been using them on hand cut dovetails (practice, so far) and cleaning up mortices in an Arts & Crafts-inspired blanket/bench table. (That's been in process for at least a year.)
The chisels are, as everything else I've ever used from LN, absolutely a joy to use. The balance and feel are several orders of magnitude above Marples Blue Chips, which are acceptable for many tasks. I have no basis for comparision with premium options from other vendors.
If you really want a handplane, one of my favorites is a Stanley #3, from the early 1920's. Bought it from Patrick Leach early last summer. $90 + the shipping. Or a Stanley #6 fore, same vendor, unused until I got it, almost 50 years old. $135 + shipping. These two get used on almost every project.
Or, as Andy says, treat yourself to some premium timber.
Patriarch
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote in

If you don't already have a good block plane, I'd say getting one of those should be top priority.
If, on the other hand, you do have a good block plane (and I'm guessing you mis-typed "bench" for "block" in the first of your "already haves"), and you say you have a shoulder plane, so you might consider the L-N 98/99 pair. Surprisingly useful little dudes for rabbets & dadoes.
The L-N 140 would also be a good choice for adjusting larger tenons. Also useful if you ever intend to build a boat.
I haven't found too much use for bullnose shoulder planes. Maybe it's just me, but I've found it simpler to work up to an edge with a chisel.
John
Yes I did mistype -- should have been "Lie-Nielson adjustable mouth bench plane".

On 15 Sep 2004 19:08:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

Do you have a bench plane ?
My "toolbag box" of planes is a #4, a #5 and a block. Can't really imagine working without all three. The #5 is the default plane of choice for carpentry, not the #4. #4's are too short to do a really good job here and they're not even very good smoothers. I think we only have them because they grow on trees and breed under dusty benches.
If you're shopping, LV look like the best bet, or get an old eBay clunker and tune it.
--
Smert' spamionam

You forgot to mention one thing as a requirement... Alex
Given what you have now - my biased vot'd be for a skew block...
Wait a sec....we don't have one of those.....
:)

<snip>
Given what you have now - my biased vot'd be for a skew block...
Wait a sec....we don't have one of those.....
:)

Why not? And any news on the next releases?
BTW, the LA Smoother is superb....
Patriarch, who hasn't talked himself into the new larger shoulder plane. Yet.

Hmm....
I wonder if that falls into the category of "subtle hint".
Is one in design?
BTW, the median shoulder plane you built me is very nice. I use it a lot.

BTW, Mr. Lee, I have about two business trips a year to Montreal. One of these days I plan to take the train to Quebec to visit your show room.... I was in Quebec city last January (very cold). Hiked around the old fort in the bitter cold wind but had a great time anyway. Both Montreal and Quebec city are real jewels.

One question please, what ius the difference between a Robin and a Leonard?
I bought the sharpening book, and I am very impressed with the depth of content, all I need to learn everything from, great book.
Alex

One is the father. One is the son. One is president of LV One is the founder of LV One has the Order of Canada. The other has Orders from across the globe...
The son is the father of the man, no? (apologies to Billy Wordsworth)
--
Greg

<snip>
About 25 years.... :)
Cheers -
Rob
calmly ranted:

One's Batman's sidekick and the other Spock?
---------------------------------------------------------- * Michelangelo would have made ** Website Programming * better time with a roller. ** http://diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------