Which Dewalt Routers?

After much researching, I have narrowed down my choices down to two router: Dewalt 616 combo pack Dewalt 621 plunge router
Variable speed is most likely not an important factor since I do not plan to use wood bits larger than 1/2". For the forseeable future, I only do occasional work with the router. I needed the plunge feature so that I can cut very clean/smooth circles. (2", 3", 6", 7" diameter to start with) I plan to use the router mostly for cutting clean circles and occasional roundover (make edges smooth). I really don't know if I will ever need to make a table router and use one. I am a beginner but quality matters.
In my area, the price difference (including taxes, discounts, etc) is only $5 - DW621 is $5 cheaper than the 616 combo pack. My max budget is no more than $200.
So given my background, which would be the better choice for me?
thanks, Larry Trutter
I have the 621 ad I'm quite pleased with it. I have no opinion on the combo pack. I have a combo pack from a competitor, and I absolutely never use the plunge base. Of course, that router is of primitive design (hard start and one speed). Pat Warner will have an opinion.
http://www.patwarner.com /

I have the 618B3 pack (has 3 bases - plunge, fixed, and d-handle fixed). It is 2.25 HP vs. the 1.75 HP of the 616. The 621 is 2 HP, IIRC. I also have the Porter-Cable 690 pack with the plunge and fixed base. I bought a dedicated PC 7518 for the router table. I find the DeWalt bases and router to be a lot more pleasing to use than the PC, although the PC still works great. I use both when I do dovetails with my Leigh jig, but for almost everything else I use the DeWalt. I find the versatility of having the different bases to be a big benefit. Sometimes the operation just feels more comfortable using a particular kind of base - although I can't really say there's any technical reason why you couldn't do just about every operation with a single base. In your case, the 621 would be a better choice, IMO than the 616, due to the increased HP and several improved features of the 621 (dust collection is one I can think of). As the other responder noted, check out www.patwarner.com for some great info on routers, especially the DW621.
Mike

You may find that the speed control helps to avoid burning in some woods, so it's worth having. I'd recommend the 621. It'll do almost everything you need to do, has great dust collection, and one of the best plunge strokes in the industry.
Kevin
--
=====
Where are those Iraqi WMDs, NOW?

I know you don't have the money, but my advice would be go with the DW618 kit. Not much more and the key word are "For the foreseeable future". You will eventually want the extra power of the 618 and the VS. Next thing is you'll want a table and then start with the large panel bits. It happens to us all.
Very nice kit. I have one.
Darrell
All: Thanks for the advice! I think I'll go with the 621 (assuming if it is still on clearance) since I am only intending it to help me build a telescope or 2. Wow, that router doesn't include a bit, ugh! If I really liked the router enough, I might do more but then I just have so many hobbies and just don't want to spread myself way too thin.... :-)
thanks, Larry Trutter

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Larry Trutter) wrote in message

Thanks for letting me know about Amazon's deal! I'll check into it.
When I stated that I'm spreading myself too thin, I meant in terms of time, not money.
thanks again! Larry Trutter
snipped-for-privacy@vmtw.com (vmtw) wrote in message

I suggest the PC 690.....
--