Which 6" jointer?

I have settled on getting a jointer next and I'm looking for some advice on which one to get. I've ruled out the 8" models because they're just too expensive. With regard to 6" models, the ones in my price range that I've been able to identify are the following:

Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) 31849-5VGA 7" INDUSTRIAL RABBETING JOINTER WITH STAND ($219) (OK, I know this is 7" rather than 6" but it's still in my price range)

Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) 30289-8VGA 6'' INDUSTRIAL RABBETING JOINTER ($270)

Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) 45253-0VGA 6'' JOINTER WITH STAND ($300)

Grizzly G1182Z 6" x 47" Super Heavy-Duty Jointer - Z Series ($325)

Grizzly G1182HW 6" x 47" Jointer With Handwheels ($325)

Grizzly G1182ZHW 6" x 47" Super Heavy-Duty Jointer with Handwheels - Z Series ($425)

Delta JT360 Shopmaster 6" Stationary Jointer ($450)

Grizzly G1182ZX 6" x 47" Heavy-Duty Jointer ($475)

Grizzly G1182ZXHW 6" x 47" Heavy-duty Jointer with Handwheels ($475)

To tell you the truth those last two are probably out of my price range. In fact, I had hoped to spend less than $400 if I can still get a good machine for that price. If everything that cheap is junk, then I'll just have to bit the bullet and pay more. And of course, if I missed any models, by all means please point them out to me.

Anyway, I spent a couple hours last night comparing the specs for these machines and frankly I don't see much of a difference. Of course, I'm not sure what I should be looking for in a jointer, so that inhibits my ability to research them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for your patience with all these newbie inquiries.

Reply to
NoNameAtAll

There was mention of this one last week. The owner could not get good 7" blades and is using another brand of 6".

Nothing from Harbor Freight impresses me. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That was me.

That was not the only problem.... the motor never worked... I eventually ended up using a spare from an old table saw.

Stay away from the HF/CM machines.

Reply to
Stephen M

Reply to
Chuck

Know the feeling - the specs will be similar to identical. What you cannot get a sense for is "quality". Does the fence move easily? Are the relevant parts flat? Are the parts that need to be tight and in tolerance, tight and in tolerance?

Even tho' many of the machines are similar in appearnce; similar in construction - the higher priced ones are usually built to higher quality standards.

The great value in jointers seemto be the around: Sunhill, Yorkcraft and Grizzly.

Believe me I *know* what it's like to be on a budget - but the Jointer will become a critical piece of machinery in your shop. And they do a good job of holding their value. Don't go too cheap here. I managed to find a great deal on the Jet 6" model and I find myself turning it on all of the time now...

Reply to
mttt

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m29.aol.com:

Well, the most important feature in a jointer is the length of the table (plus it's flatness, of course). Second most important is the length of the fence, I'd say. But I suspect all jointers in the class you're looking at are the same in those respects.

So you pretty much come down to convenience features (handwheels versus levers, etc) and the makers reputation for a quality product. Delta & Jet lead Grizzly in that regard, while Grizzly in turn is a long way ahead of Harbor Freight.

My personal preference is for a closed stand model, and for handwheels rather than levers. So I'd be attracted to the Grizzly models(*) (not that I can figure out the difference between them, all the G1182 varients look the same to me).

John

(* were I in your situation. I actually have a Jet)

Reply to
John McCoy

I picked up the JT360 at Lowe's when they had their 20% off sale for $279 (regular price $349 - not $449 like everyone else).

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

You didn't list the Sunhill ($400 with shipping). I absolutely love mine. It has the single welded base (more sturdy less vibration) and handwheels -- easy to nudge them ever so slightly to get the outfeed table to be at the right height relative to the blades (I've heard that can be difficult on the lever type models, but I've never tried it...). Replacement knives were CHEAP -- $20 for 3. I ordered a second set for when I get my main ones sharpened (~$13).

My 2 cents...

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

Hi, I have the Yorkcraft 6" jointer from Wilke Mach, I love it, no problems, looks just like the 6" Pro Jointer from Delta. It is $299 + shipping.

Tony

Too bad your price range is so low. I have a surplus DJ15 (because I bought a DJ20) that I'm planning on selling. However, I'm not going to give it away. Of course you would have to live near NE Florida, too, as I don't intend to ship it.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

if value is your consideration shop for older american made machinery. for about the price of a new 6" taiwanese jointer I got an 8" jointer made in the USofA in the early 70's. Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

As do I.

It does what I need it to do , for near Grizzly price, and I was able to finger it before purchase.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I just looked at the Ridgid. It was $399. The dust chute has a bunch of openings in it, so i wouldn't expect a DC to be particularly effective. What have you found?

Reply to
Toller

I ordered a Sunhill in early December. It has been on backorder ever since. They keep telling me "next week" and at this point I think they're just dicking me around. I'm about ready to cancel the order. We'll see. I'll probably hang in there for another week or two and then look elsewhere.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

My Yorkcraft was delivered about two weeks ago and I have only cut ~24 feet of board, but so far I like it. It was ~$350 delivered.

Reply to
avthokie

I've had my Yorkcraft for about a year, Have never had a problem. Mine was $299 + $82 for delivery......

Reply to
Tony

How effective is the DC port? Some have so many openings that you don't get much of any suction. How about the Yorkcraft?

Reply to
Toller

Hi, I don't have a dust collector, I let it fall on the floor and sweep and vacuum it up. The Jointer is VERY similar to the Delta 6" pro jointer, looks the same, except for color and switch location. The dust chute is a square port, seems to be well sealed and it comes with a plastic 4" dust port that you can attach a hose to.

Reply to
Tony

I just posted a 6" sears craftsman jointer / plainer for 300.00 . but i ami north east michigan. very little use . sells for 589.99 new

Reply to
golfcoursemechanic

My Ridgid has a few screw holes in the dust chute. They don't seem to affect the chip removal at all.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .