What's up with Porter-Cable?

Had some HORRIBLE experience with Porter-Cable recently. Compressor was defective from the factory, now the damn thing has been in the shop since I got it, and Factory Service told me I should truck it up to them...
OK, a large (150 lb+) compressor, take a day off of work to take it north of Baltimore, then when they finally get around to fixing it take another day of work off to drive all the way up to pick it up... My cost in time and what little time off I get from work is exceeding what I paid for it!
Porter-Cable used to mean something to me. Is this just a fluke, or is their quality dropping across the board? I don't think I will buy another P-C product at this rate!
I am sorry that you are having a problem. However, being a Porter-Cable dealer for over 20 years it is not the factory service center that is a fault. Your dealer is responsible for customer warranty work or replacement. A new defective unit should have been returned to the dealer and the dealer should have taken care of your problem. Where and from whom did you buy your unit from? If you had bought it from me, I would have picked the defective unit up and brought you a new one.
Good luck, Mike from American Sycamore
    --Had what I suspect is the same prob with my new P-C compressor. Turns out there's a nasty little "improvement" in the form of a combination intake filter and check valve that screws into the cylinder head; if it becomes clogged the force of the vacuum can suck parts of the damned thing into the cylinder, causing scoring and all nature of things. Somewhere in the manual, in a not terribly obvious place (it should be inscribed in inch-high letters on the cover IMO!!) it says to replace it every two months or so. They cost about $10 each, so add that to the overall operating cost and suddenly the P-C ain't such a deal. I was "lucky" enough to have mine fail while still under warranty, but I'll NEVER buy Porter Cable again..
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Yet another genius
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : without a job...

Porter Cable used to be part of Pentair, along with Devilbis compressors. I believe the business unit that Black and Decker bought included Devilbis.
Devilbis compressors are crap.

My tank is Devilbis, so I'll bet the compressor is too. Too late to get my money back I suppose.
Mike

PPT33R wrote:

was
take
what
is
Porter-Cable is owned by Black and Decker.
I don't know about their compressors but I have been slowing selling off my P-C power tools on ebay, I've been replacing them with tools that are smaller/lighter/smoother made by some other brand located on the other side of the earth. However, I've had no problems with P-C reliability.

Black and Decker has only owned P-C since October 4th.
I doubt Black and Decker has had time to make many changes to P-C yet.
Brian Elfert
Change will happen just as surely as night follows day. B&D will maintain two tiers of quality and ruggedness for a while but eventually (can't predict exactly when) they'll begin to focus on price point and profit. When the quality drops below a certain point, someone else either here or overseas will begin to manufacture higher quality tools and capture the high end market. They will merge with a large manufacturer and the cycle will repeat itself again.
writes:

Chuck Hoffman wrote:

I guess it's possible but after all these years Black & Decker's yellow line of tools still seem pretty decent.
Nova wrote:

And, for that matter, I can't find anything wrong with the drill I bought Dad a couple years ago. B&D "Quantum Pro" from Wally World of all things. I've used it a bit myself, and I can't find anything to complain about. I borrow it whenever it's inconvenient to use a real drill with a tail, or when I need to drive screws. Plenty of power, metal chuck, rugged enough for my purposes. I had real reservations about buying anything under the B&D label, and I still do today, but this thing turned out to be a nice exception. I actually like it much better than the DeWalt it replaced, and this goes beyond merely comparing voltages.

Changes will most likely come, but I doubt anything has happened in the short four months B&D has owned P-C.
Brian Elfert
steve wrote:

A rather interesting tact to take. Product works fine but it's being replaced with something unknown. An adventurer perhaps?
UA100, who did get rid of his Porter-Capable biquick join(t)er but that was because it was crowding his Lamello...
Now you tell me......I just got a P-C 7550 compressor and just finished plumbing it into my shop and now I have to plumb the rest of the shop (everything from the compressor to the shop is galv. and everything inside is copper). I will be sure to keep an eye on the filter situation as one poster stated.
Mike

Now you tell me is right, I just picked up the pc compressor and 3 gun combo at the orange borg..... It's still going to work better than the old compressor, which is frozen ;-).
Joe C.

Epilogue: Turns out my compressor was shipped from the factory missing parts. Those parts have now been replaced, and the unit functions, but I am still less than impressed with quality. The regulator assembly still leaks a bit during tank fill, and I have been told it is not real bad... I do like the quiet operation, but I think I will look elsewhere when this one gives up the ghost...