What is it? Weekend Edition 4

These are all items that people have sent in to me, I know the answers for numbers 14 and 16:

  1. I have already posted this tool on the web site several years ago, so you can test your memory on this one, 3-1/2" long:
    Someone found this hat at an estate sale:
    Inside of this item it says: designed by y. ohta Botanical Art Collection TOKO:
    This large pan is 30" diameter and 7" deep, it was displayed on a restaurant wall:
Rob H.
14 looks like the hats Tibitans wear. WW

Reply to
WW

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Correct! Similar ones can be seen here:

Rob H.

mines?

perhaps similar from some fraternal organization here in the USA?

slot, thread it through the key, and wind up the tube as you use the toothpaste, squeezing the toothpaste ahead of the pinch point.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

Yes, it has a line clipper, a needle to clear a hook eyelet, a hook sharpener, and a knot tying tool.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I'm curious. Would tortillas need a 30" pan? If it wasn't for tortillas, I wonder if it was for stir frying. I wonder what it's made of.

Reply to
J Burns

Ned Simmons

In that case -- why the large "USA" markings on it? Was it Army issue?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Made here? I know that might be a shocker, but we used to make stuff like this in the USA.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I've never heard of clearing a hook eyelet with a needle, and this needle looks needlessly long. When fishing, I'd use a pocket knife to cut line.

The tool would allow one to poke or snip without hazard to a rubber raft. I wonder if it was a survival tool that surplus stores later sold for fishing. A downed airman with a torn nail would want a clipper. The needle could be to poke holes in something for lacing or sewing.

Reply to
J Burns
  1. I have already posted this tool on the web site several years ago, so you can test your memory on this one, 3-1/2" long:
    Totally no clue.

  1. Someone found this hat at an estate sale:
    Childs costume hat, Roman chariot driver.

  2. Inside of this item it says: designed by y. ohta Botanical Art Collection TOKO:
    Used for rolling joints, back in the sixties. Man, that was some killer weed back then.

  1. This large pan is 30" diameter and 7" deep, it was displayed on a restaurant wall:
    It was a wash tub, for very small children. Used in the early days of the settling of the west.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or, at least had the capability to do so. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

two clicks down the page. You're looking for "nippers". The "simple" Orvis version is the last one on the page. But for $12.95 ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

And a lot of stuff just said USA.

Far as I know the military never issued fly fishing nippers and that's what this item is.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Yes -- but it would typically say "Made in USA", not just "USA". However, lots of things which I was issued by the army, including pocket knives, were stamped "USA" in relatively large letters (or sometimes just "US"). And I was just a civilian technician employed at an Army R&D lab.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Sounds like you are still rolling joints in 2010

Reply to
George W Frost

>> About two clicks down the page. You're looking for "nippers". The

Live and learn! Needles to clean out eyelets! Are these tools for the desk and not the brook?

"USA" with no "made in" or brand name makes me think this was a GI version of the fisherman's tool.

's a layout of the gear in a C-1 Survival Vest. One item is a fishing/sewing kit. I doubt downed airmen tied flies, but a fisherman's tool may have been provided for various uses, including clipping torn nails and removing shrapnel or splinters.

Reply to
J Burns