What is it? Weekend Edition 3

Page 1 of 2

Below are some items that were sent in to me, I know the answer for number 11 but not for the other two.
10. This was found in a graveyard, it's about 3-1/4" long, it has three threaded compartments with a lid, two compartments were full of grease.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic10.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic10a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic10b.jpg
11. Two different items that were submitted, both with the same purpose:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic11.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic11a.jpg
12. The owner's description: It's made of solid brass, approx. 1" long, 3/4" tall, 3/4" deep, had 2 small brass risers approx. 1/8" diameter, with sliding stainless steel rod inserted through left brass riser with set screw to hold in place, small stainless steel rod affixed in right riser, small hooked cutting blade with adjusting screw mounted on rear of device.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album11/pic12.jpg
11 - guessing: a chemist's or pharmacist's scoop, for scooping small amounts of product for mixing with another or putting on a scale for measuring exact amount

Apple corers.
Rob H. wrote:

12 is probably used in clock wheel repair work; I'm assuming that there are holes in the pointed ends of the rods. The hook is for securing the wheel in one position while work is being done at one part of the wheel.

I sent an email to the owner of it asking if there are holes in the pointed rods but haven't heard back yet.
Others have guessed apple corer and chemist scoop for number 11, neither of these is correct although the word scoop is part of the right answer.
Rob
Seems I've seem a similar item as the second pic in # 11. After further consideration: maybe a dining utensil- for tea, sugar, salt? -, but it seems I've seen a similar item on a lady's dressing table... part of a manicure set.... I just don't recall.
Sonny

Your first guess is closer, it's for use at the table but not for tea, sugar or salt.
Rob H. wrote:

Similar items are called cheese scoops, but some made about 1805 were called butter scoops.

Cheese scoops is correct, more specifically stilton cheese scoops, as seen in these images:
http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&rlz 3GGGL_enUS228US228&biw96&bihb0&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=%22stilton+cheese+scoop%22&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai Concerning the mold from Thursday's set, the owner of it said he will try to cast a piece from it with either babbet or solder. Not sure if he has a digital camera or not, if so I'll see if he can send some photos.
Rob
On 8/14/2010 10:45 PM, Sonny wrote:

Dining is correct. These are marrow spoons.
Kevin Gallimore

I heard back from the owner of this device, they said that the ends of the rods are sharp points.
Rob

    Hmm ... two full of grease -- both the same type, or some difference between them? And the third was totally empty and clean?
    At a guess, it could have been a portable maintenance kit for something with bearings. Knowing more about the types of grease might help.

    For planting seeds or small bulbs?

    Terrible photo.
    Given that the hooked device is described as a blade of some sort, it is some kind of minimal hand-powered lathe. At a guess, for truing the wheels for something like the wooden block race cars made by scouts and the like. (I forget the name of these cars but they are fairly common at certain times of the year.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

I'd guess a maintenance kit for an outdoor item; probably a rifle or shotgun, which has a compartment in the stock to clip this little gizmo in place

Maybe a holder for spooling thread onto a bobbin? The hooked blade would be used to snip the thread when you have enough
Rob H. wrote:

11 is a marrow scoop. EdR

Nope, that one looks more like a long thin spoon.

Watermelon?
--
William

Grapefruit spoon?

Nah, those are marrow spoons
--riverman

has one serrated edge
Guessing:
10 - Maybe part of an old (since it isn't decorative) swing-bar assembly of a casket handle, that, for some reason, has been removed, broke off, fell off?
http://www.geneva-mfg.com/swing/tigeren.gif
Googling "casket hardware" ---> sites ---> several pics of various hardware with somewhat similar (?) round/rod parts: Tips, escutcheons, hinge caps, but nothing exactly as pictured in the initial post. http://sterlingcaskethardware.com/products8.php
Sonny