What is it? Set 538

Page 2 of 2

    Posting in the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
3139)    Interesting. In part it looks like a whistle, including the     fipple formed half by the wood and half by the end of slot.
    But -- if it were a musical whistle, it would have larger holes     on the side, and with variable spacing and sizes to tune them to     specific notes.
    And the perforated cone would not be there at all.
    Perhaps it could be a whistle which is powered by a vacuum drawn     through the perforated cone.
    The shape of the fipple appears wrong for it to be powered by     steam fed in through the perforated cone. You only show one     view of this, and I suspect that there is a hole though the wood     just behind the fipple.
3140)    Strange. All formed from a single piece of wire.
    At a guess the duck-bill to the right fits into a tube, and it     supports a tubing (glass or rubber) in the other two. Perhaps     used in a chem lab.
    Maybe it could hold a test tube on the end of a distillation     condenser for sampling before the final product goes to a larger     container.
3141)    That is the most decorated Acorn cap nut I have ever seen.
    Unlikely to be a commercial product, though it might have     started life as a normal Acorn cap nut.
    And the size is rather large for most acorn nuts.
3142)    A pipe reamer. Used for removing burrs from the inside of a     just cut length of pipe.
    Used in an old style brace from the "Brace and Bit" days,
    BTW The "large photos" site seems to have the two views of the     acorn nut and the pipe reamer interleaved for whatever reason.     :-)
3143)    Two normally hand-held counters. Likely used at the admissions     gate to count two different classes of entrants -- say Men vs     Women or adults vs kids.
3144)    I think that this is a tool used by a blacksmith for punching     a hole through sheet metal of whatever thickness. Heat it red     hot first.
    I think that the two parts separate, but they might work     assembled into the hardy hole of an anvil.
    Now to post this and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
No definitive reason has been found yet for the two counters but the rest of the answers have been posted:

    I'm curious about the one described as a saw set. It looks rather large -- unless it is for sawmill sized saw blades -- or perhaps for the two-man saws used for firewood and trees.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

You're right about it being for larger saws, I think it was for crosscut saws that were used on trees, as you mentioned. The actual size of this saw set is 3- 1/4", I had incorrectly marked it as 2-1/2". I posted this tool a long time ago and didn't have an answer for it until Leon sent me some information on it.
Rob
"Rob H." wrote:

It is what sawyers call an upset swage or hammer swage. It is a variation on the swages used for circular saws In this image the top two are for circular saws and the bottom one is for crosscut.
http://members.acmenet.net/~con12a/saw%20set%20website/hammer%20swage.jpg
A "saw set" OTOH is used to bend saw teeth. Usually every other tooth is bent in the opposite direction this is done to create kerf clearance.
A upset swage is a forging tool that forms the tooth metal back to its original shape by hammer blows. There are also lever type swages where one uses a hand crank to shape the tooth.
Here is a good explanation for swaging a circular rip saw. http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,5106.msg69109.html#msg69109

Thanks for the information, I added 'hammer swage' to my answer for it.
On 3/31/2014 6:52 PM, Rob H. wrote:

I keep looking at the posts, but have not seen answers, in the subject line. Have they been posted?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Look at Rob's post dated 3/28
--
 GW Ross

 Danger! **Attention Span Exceeded!**

Good thinking, I wasn't able to find any boxing counters but I like this idea.

    Or -- just go to the original site and scroll down about half way to find the start of the answers.
    He typically posts them on Friday evening -- same URL as the original puzzle.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,5106.msg69109.html#msg69109

Sometimes I forget

    [ ... ]

    You forget to *post* that the answers are up, but not to put the answers up. I usually look at the site for the answers before I ever get to reading usenet for the evening.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 4/3/2014 12:49 AM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Funny, I have never seen Rob forget to post that the answers are up.
--
Jeff

On 4/3/2014 6:25 AM, woodchucker wrote:

Last week, for example. I read the subject lines of each of the posts, and none said "answers".
--
.
Christopher A. Young