http://imgur.com/a/EevuB
Rob
"Rob H." wrote in message
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Larger images:
http://imgur.com/a/EevuB
Rob
3141. I'm fairly sure this is a nut. Or possibly a fence tool.
Steve
On 3/27/2014 4:39 AM, shazzbat wrote:

At 2 1/8 diameter, that's some big kind of cap nut. And why the decorative engraving?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Hmm, so this was wrong but I've definitely seen these before too. I don't think it simply and incense burner.......No, this one has got my brain ticking.
On 3/27/2014 4:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3139    Something to feed plants 3141     nut for a wheel axle or some other decorative nut. 3142    reamer for a brace (wish I had this one) 3143    lap counters for 2 events... might be for race cars one might be overall laps, the other laps since pitting or filling up. 3144 swaging tool (tool and die)
--
Jeff

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:33:59 AM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

Some years ago, I inherited one.... and 2 smaller wider angled ones I've us ed for tapering screw holes. I've never been presented with a hole to be r eamed with the larger one, nor can I think of a specific woodworking applic ation. I don't suppose it should be used on metal applications.
What might be specific woodworking application(s) the large reamer be used for?
Sonny
On 3/27/2014 9:13 AM, Sonny wrote:

Certainly it can be used for metal work. You think braces were limited to wood. A good reamer is perfect for a brace. Good for sheet metal work, enlarging a hole. Good for putting a taper on aluminum block. Aluminum is a grabby medium for machines.. The slow cutting of the brace would allow it to be cleaned better, and it would prevent galling to some degree... with the proper aluminum cutting oil of course, not the same as normal cutting oil.
--
Jeff

Rob H. wrote:

3141 Gear Shift Knob
--
 GW Ross

 Funny, only sensible people agree

3141 - Custom shifter knob
3142 - Bitstock reamer
3144 - Bottom fuller
On 3/27/2014 4:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3139, tea strengthener, to boost the cuppa. 3140, beaker holder for chemistry. 3141, decorator lug nut for Egyptian chariot. 3142, pipe reamer of some kind, or hole reamer. 3143, some kind of push button counter. Two counters. Set up so as to provide two separate counts. 3144, fence tool?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

It's rather large but 3141 looks like its one of those decorative nuts that hold down a toilet to the floor.
-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com
On 3/27/2014 3:14 AM, Rob H. wrote:

3141 maybe a nut to hold the steering wheel on an old car

Running an analysis...
My first guess is that 3143 was a production line quality control counter mounted to a small run or slow production line.
Both buttons have red residue on them. The angle of the buttons suggest automation.
Counter A counts all the objects on the line up to that point.
Counter B counts remaining objects that pass by.
Between the two, someone or some contrivance pushes or drops damaged, underweight overweight or otherwise out of spec items off the conveyor.
The difference between the two counters gives a quality control tally.
Possibility B...
A counter that goes up to 999,999 and some poor sod with red paint on his hands had to push the buttons.
3143: clock for blitz chess?

Correct, I think I posted one of these a couple years ago, someone just sent me this photo so I decided to go ahead and repost it.

No one has guessed the right answer for it yet, I'm not sure if this is a reproduction or an original, but these were used until the early 1800s.
On Thursday, March 27, 2014 3:02:52 PM UTC-5, Rob H. wrote:

Not since the early 1800s? A fishing bait (cricket) canister? A queen bee canister?
Sonny

Correct

I don't know the exact reason these were mounted in wood but lap counters sounds like a good use for them.

Another good sounding guess but I don't know if we'll ever get a verifiable answer for this one.