What is it? Set 512

Page 1 of 3
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Larger images:
http://imgur.com/a/LrBVH
I might not have access to a computer for the next few days.
Rob
2983 No idea, but the combination of a robust head with flimsy, replaceable points confuses and intrigues me.
2984 A garden edger. Offset for use near a wall. A low wall or the user will scrape his knuckles.
2985 Indicator tabs from a cash register.
2988 Power transmission pulley for a flat belt shaft power distribution system.
On 9/25/2013 3:59 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2987 Looks like the end pice of a cutter knife
Rob H.:

Well, 2985 is easy: pop-up displays from a cash register, as were common before rotating digit wheels came into use.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "A cow-orker of mine used to ood dogs."
snipped-for-privacy@vex.net -- Steve Hayes
On 9/25/2013 3:59 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Rob H. wrote:

--
 GW Ross

 I didn't fight my way to the top of
Rob H. wrote:

2984 is a shingle removing shovel
2987 is the "ON" setting button for a light timer (the kind you plug into a wall and plug a lamp into)
Rich

2987: I'm pretty sure Rick is correct.
Erik
On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:59:31 AM UTC-5, Rob H. wrote:

next few days. Rob
2983 reminds me of a double needle aspect/mount of a double needle (industr ial) sewing machine. This one's spacing being about 1/2". I don't see the eyes of the needles nor the recesses (near the tips, on the outer sides of the needles) for the sewing machine's hooks, to hook the thread, as it pas ses near the needle. My Singer's double needle: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/9932377103/ A closer view of the tips: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/993239 8713/in/photostream/
Sonny

2984
Roofing fork a very early one
2985
Number tags from a cash register
2981
Tab from a light timer

for leather stitching, but seems about right for books.
2988 is a flat belt pulley
Paul K. Dickman
On 25 Sep 2013 00:59:31 -0700

2984 is a Hay Knife. Used in an old hay mow for cutting/separating loose hay.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Leon Fisk wrote:

The "modern" version is also used in the fire service. They dig through roots/tangle better than a common round point when digging a fire break. We also have hoes built on the same concept. Work great as long as the operator holds up.
--
Steve W.

2984: I think it might be a SOD spade, as opposed to a hay knife. Maybe... same basic function.
2985: The pop-up number tags from an old mechanical cash register.
2986: I'm not sure what it is, but it's apparently for prying on something with a thin section, and small separation (initially) between it and the working surface. Flat edge gets forced in under, a little prying, then turn the tool and use the fulcrum to pull it out further. Maybe a staple puller, for upholstery work.
2987: I know this thing! It's a push-latching sommat... but can't remember what for! <G>
2988: a crowned pulley for flat belts, probably for an old agricultural machine, maybe even steam-driven. Could be a line-shaft pulley, too, for a water driven shop.
Lloyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

2988 : Line shaft pulley, Split type to allow it to be added to a shaft that was already installed.
--
Steve W.

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 14:53:54 -0400
<snip>

Here is a similar "knife" that had a patent:
https://www.google.com/patents/US202487
https://www.google.com/patents/USRE9991
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
On 9/25/2013 3:59 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2983. Electrodes and electrode driver for a moisture meter.
Kevin Gallimore
Posting from my desk top PC in the living room, as always.
2983, scriber for writing parallel lines, scratched into a surface. 2984, corn weeding shovel. Part of the lower handle is missing. 2985, used for roadside alcohol driver testing. 2986, end of a yellow tape measure tape. The other item could be any thing. 2987, I'll admit, you got me. 2988, Part of either a grape press,or cheese press.
On 9/25/2013 6:33 PM, axolotl wrote:

On 9/25/2013 3:59 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2984    Roofing shovel... old ..
--
Jeff

2983: Off the top of the head hunch here... perhaps a punch of some sort, possibly for leather work or the like.
Erik