What is it? Set 491

Page 1 of 2
I have answers for just the first and third ones this week and need some help with the rest.
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob
2860 - Would stating the obvious be incorrect then, a child's canoe/coracle paddle?
2860 - Would stating the obvious be incorrect then, a child's canoe/coracle paddle? In fact it's more likely to be a wort (or something similar) stirrer.

The owner referred to it as a chopper and stated in his email that "the blade is sharp" and that it weighs about four pounds. So I was thinking that most of it was made of metal.
On Thursday, May 2, 2013 3:54:54 AM UTC-5, Rob H. wrote:
2860

blade is sharp" and that it weighs about four pounds. So I was thinking that most of it was made of metal.
Paul Bunyon's pairing chisel
Sonny

referred to it as a chopper and stated in his email that "the blade is sharp" and that it weighs about four pounds. So I was thinking that most of it was made of metal.
Hand tool, so whatever is to be cut would be fairly soft. A few pics of peat cutting tools, looks somewhat similar
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1T4MXGB_enUS512US513&biw 80&bihi0&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=peat+cutter&oq=peat+cutter&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24l3.21360.26656.0.34344.12.8.0.1.1.2.1062.3532.4-2j3j0j1.6.0...0.0...1c.1.11.img.mxj50vs3QGs
Sonny
On 5/2/13 4:54 AM, Rob H. wrote:

The short handle suggests an entrenching tool. The blade looks about 3" wide, which would be good for chopping into tough soil. The long blade would make it good for shaping a trench or foxhole. The best technique may have been to use another implement to throw the soil out of the hole.
j Burns wrote:

It seems that if it was for digging into the ground it would have had horizontal shoulders on the blade for pushing with your foot.
--
 GW Ross

 Although I'm not Canadian, I tend to
On 5/3/2013 8:12 PM, G. Ross wrote:

I think it looks like a chisel, for cleaning up framing lumber... post and beam type... Like a slick... A slick is used by using your weight... This looks large, but could also be used for cleaning up lumber for a log home... or the notches.
--
Jeff

On 5/3/13 8:30 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I believe it is a slick as you say. I was barking up the wrong tree.
If it had been an entrenching tool, it would not have been used like a spade. For one thing, the handle is only 14". The US Model 1880 entrenching tool is somewhat similar, but it's pointed and the handle is only 7".
2857 Hmmm... I clearly don't know what this is, but... The precision available from the globe, settings and indications are clearly inadequate for weapons targeting or navigation. I'll guess that this is a teaching-aid.
On 5/2/2013 4:06 AM, Rob H. wrote:

On 5/2/2013 3:06 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2859 - Oil can opener. Downward push of the handle would provide pour hole and air hole. Definitely pre spout days

Can opener is correct, though it was marked beer can opener for use at a bar. I couldn't find another like it on the web, nor could I find a similar oil can opener.
2857, Russian pilot's guidance system? 2858, no clue. Maybe stores a written message for the next shift? 2859, mechanical press of some kind (to mention the obvious). 2860, some kind of canoe paddle. Or, maybe blocks a sluice channel for some kind of drainage system. 2861, from the rust and paint, probably from some kind of construction equipment. 2862, this is a nutty SWAG, but maybe it's a fisherman's earth worm shocker. The round thing inside is a wet cell.
Thanks for the tile cutter update. Interesting to learn more. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I have answers for just the first and third ones this week and need some help with the rest.
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob

2862 - some sort of electrotherapy device?
See the photos here for something not completely dissimilar.

Sorry, forgot the "here": http://www.flickr.com/photos/benrauch/2234407679/in/photostream/

I agree that it's probably some kind of quack medical device though I haven't been able to prove it.
On 5/2/2013 3:06 AM, Rob H. wrote:

A Globe washing machine!

LOL! Two points for the most creative guess of the week. <g>
--
Ed Huntress

Good one Leon!