What is it? Set 489

Page 1 of 2
I have the answers for the first and fifth items this week, I need help on the other four:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Rob
On Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:10:42 AM UTC-5, Rob H. wrote:

2849- comes from some (crop) harvesting machine (combine), but I can't recall what machine. Somewhat similar to the spike from the cotton picking machine, posted some months ago.
Sonny
On Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:10:42 AM UTC-5, Rob H. wrote:

n the other four: http://55tools.blogspot.com/ Rob
2849 - Combine finger part, various fingers shown among the images - https: //www.google.com/search?q=combine+finger+part&hl=en&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4 MXGB_enUS512US513&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei =UspvUeOLNYnI9gSyn4GABg&ved EoQsAQ&biw80&bihi0
Sonny

https://www.google.com/search?q=combine+finger+part&hl=en&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4MXGB_enUS512US513&site=webhp&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=UspvUeOLNYnI9gSyn4GABg&ved EoQsAQ&biw80&bihi0

Actually I think it is a "sickle bar" part. At least that is what we called it back on the farm. It was used to cut down hay. From the shape of it, I would think it was from a horse drawn sickle.
Look up horse drawn sickle bar or hay mower.. You can see this shape among them.
The reason I say it is from a horse drawn sickle is that those old parts had those extra curves in them. And they were thicker than the more modern ones. As machinery became more modern, they had straighter lines and were flatter. I should know. I was raised on a farm that had both horse drawn equipment and the more modern machine mounted stuff. And we often pulled the old horse drawn equipment behind our tractor.
And the reason I remember this so well is that they break off now and then. It was my job to replace them.

2845 Bearing's
2846 Cutting board that spans over a sink or container
2850 Scope ring
Robert
Robert wrote:

2845 looks more like blasting caps to me ... and 2849 is a replaceable tooth off a hay mowing cutter bar .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Nope, they are solid copper.
2849 is a replaceable

Correct

Nope

Sounds possible

A number of people have given this answer, looks right to me. Thanks
Rob H. wrote:

2845 - FMJ Wadcutter bullets.
2846 -
2847 -
2848 -
2849 - Rock guard for a sickle bar. That looks like one from an Allis Chalmers unit.
2850 - Rifle scope base and ring.
--
Steve W.

On 4/18/2013 3:10 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2849 Is a sickle guard for a hay mower or grain binder.

This is the most guesses I've ever had! Maybe I got one right? : )
#2845 --bullet blanks?
#2846--jig for net-making?
#2847--to fixture to pass a rope through (ste in concrete)?
#2849--an arrowhead (for archery/hunting)
#2850---a scope mount for a rifle
Bill

I think this might be correct but haven't seen any proof of it.

    O.K. The first could benefit from having something for scale, like perhaps a dime adjacent to the items.
2845)    I've got two thoughts here. The above-mentioned coin might     help me to choose between the two.
    a)    Crushable copper slugs designed for measuring pressure         in the chamber of a firearm to test how safe a load may         be. It is read in "CUP" (Copper Units of Pressure), and         is determined by how much the length decreases during a         single firing.
    b)    "Pusher" tumblers for a pin-tumbler lock. Such a lock         has at least two tumblers -- the cylindrical "pusher"         and the round-nosed one (operating tumbler) which         engages the key. There will also be a spring to hold         them down, and there may be "master disks" to allow two         different keys to operate the same lock. The pushers         may also be reduced in diameter in the middle (like a         spool) to make it more difficult to pick. However -- I         doubt that the pusher tumblers would be packaged in such         quantity -- and they are offered in more than one length         to accommodate the variation in length of the operating         tumbler -- and possibly one or more master disk. Also,         they are usually made of bronze, and not copper plated,         so I think that choice (a) above is the correct one         here.
2846)    Purely a guess here. It looks as though it hooks onto a     ridge or rod at the right-hand end, and it might be a cutting     board for meat or cheese, with the hooks allowing it to tilt for     convenience.
2847)    This looks a though it is intended to have the plate buried in     concrete, to serve as a weight or an anchor for a long cable to     somewhere. But I wonder how strong the center pin would be with     the fairly simple clip at the bottom. (Unless there is     clearance for the concrete to fill the wall between the center     rod and the sleeve.
2848)    Well ... the "2014" is not the year -- yet. :-)
    If they are expected to be used in pairs, and if set parallel,     it would be possible to bounce a beam of light between the two     in a zigzag pattern, and with a photosensor, to detect anything     passing between the two. The button could be to announce your     intention to pass between the two -- perhaps to avoid an alarm     being sounded.
2849)    Perhaps the point on a boar spear? The cross-piece is intended     to keep the boar from continuing to push his way up the spear     to get to the person wielding the spear (as they have been known     to do)
2850)    This one also could benefit from size information.
    Looking at the texture of the cloth, I would guess that the ring     has an ID of about 1" -- which would make it likely to serve as     a mount for a rifle or pistol 'scope (telescopic sight). For a     rifle, they are typically used in pairs.
    Now time to send this and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

They could indeed. I'm not sure if they are hollow (one of them looks to be open ended). If so, and the right size, they could be capillary pipe ends:
http://www.apcoplumbingheatingsupplies.co.uk/plumbing-fittings/copper-pipe-fittings/end-feed/endfeed-cap-15mm

    I downloaded the image, and played with the gamma and I believe that dark face is just a case of the angle of illumination -- and perhaps even reflection of a dark area adjacent to the photo area.
    If I had believed that the end was open, that it might be something like a very small percussion cap.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

I had sent the owner of them an email asking for the size but never heard back, maybe he is on the road.

Good answer! That's exactly what they are.
Thanks to everyone who identified the scope mount, we have a probable answer for the mirrors, and I'm still not sure about the other two mystery items:
Rob
2845, does Johny Carson and Jack Webb have a video about the copper cartridge crushers?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjquGpmgwOo
. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Rob

Pretty funny, btw I did hear back from the owner who sent the actual size of the copper crushers: Mean length, uncompressed .3998", Mean diameter, uncompressed .2260"

    O.K. Way too large for my second suggestion (the pin tumblers). Mean diameter would have to be closer to 0.100" for that to work. Good thing that I made that the second guess -- based on other criteria. :-)
    Thanks,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Common tumblers are .115 diameter. Arrow, Corbin, Russwin, Kwikset, Schlage, etc. Some other sizes for specialty like interchangable core, padlocks, mogul, etc. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .