What is it? Set 467

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with the third and fifth items this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

2716 look like a spring from a clip board

This item is made entirely of plastic and it's not a spring.
2716 I have a vague feeling that I've seen things like this used as a twist-tie to bundle or group wires. From the size, something like this could be used to bundle telephone cables on utility poles.
On 11/15/2012 4:57 PM, Rob H. wrote:

On 11/15/2012 5:16 PM, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

support. When something like a phone or power cable passes by a utility pole and must be held up, the center of something like this is fastened to the utility pole and each end coiled around the cable.

Good answer! The person who sent the photo said that it's a tie for holding high tension lines to the support insulator.

it's for holding powerlines to their insulators.
Rob H. wrote the following on 11/15/2012 4:02 AM (ET):

2713 The original snowmobile! :-)
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
I need some help with the third and fifth items this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
2713 - Planting Sled.

On 11/15/2012 10:55 AM, walkerk wrote: > 2713 - Planting Sled. >
>> I need some help with the third and fifth items this week: >> >> http://55tools.blogspot.com / >> >> Rob >
2715 - a marking guage?
Bill

Correct, it's for planting corn.
2718 Based on extreme ignorance, I'd say this is what I'd expect the receiver of an electrically operated chain-gun to look like.
On 11/15/2012 4:02 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2716: elephant IUD ;-)
Kerry

2713)    This looks to me to be a device for sprinkling sand, ashes     or salt on an ice covered roadway. The sled runners on the     front, and the horse-drawn image of a larger version in the     background.
    I'm not sure whether there is some linkage from the wheels to t     he shaker in the long box, or whether someone was expected to     ride on the platform over the wheels, and turn the disc in the     center of the box.
2714)    I think that this is also ice related. Either as a     traction item when moved parallel to the crossbar, or to mark     cut lines on a frozen pond prior to sawing and harvesting the     ice. It was stored in sheds packed with sawdust as insulation.
2715)    A tool to mark a line down the center of a plank, (or at some     other offset depending on the setting of the guides.
2716)    Frankly, this looks like some insulated solid copper wire,     typical of house wiring. The black plastic is insulation,     probably a PVC (Poly-Vinyl-Chloride).
    Someone wound it around a rod, slid it off, partially unwound     the center, and formed the ends into loops -- probably just for     the fun of it, not for any functional reason.
    A close look at one of the ends (if it is not too tucked against     the side) should show the color of copper in the middle.
2717)    The pair of O-rings around each suggest that it is to be a snug     fit in some form of cylinder. The slightly larger end plate     limits how far in it can go, and the threaded shaft in the     handle probably compresses the length to expand the O-rings to     grip the cylinder -- therefore to be used to pull it out.     Perhaps for removing wet liners in some older internal     combustion engine styles, such as the one in the Triumph TR-3     (which I believe used the engine originally for the Ferguson     tractor.)
2718)    Hmm ... military, given the color.
    Rotates as the carriage slides on the clamp sleeve.
    Perhaps for throwing a coiled line and weight across a gap to     start building a bridge of some sort?
    Perhaps to launch some kind of grenade or other explosive     device.
    I think that it is designed to be powered by a rifle, and clamps     to the barrel of it.
    Now to post and then see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Grenade launcher is correct, these are fairly common now but the ones in the photo were experimental models.
Still not 100% sure about the two mystery items but the rest of the answers have been posted here:
Rob

I just added this link to my answer, it shows the tripod and other missing parts of the grenade launcher.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:XM75_Automatic_Grenade_Launcher.jpg
On 11/17/2012 4:53 AM, Rob H. wrote: > I just added this link to my answer, it shows the tripod and other > missing parts of the grenade launcher. > >
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:XM75_Automatic_Grenade_Launcher.jpg
Aha! Now I see how it works. It isn't electrically operated. Recoil is converted to rotation of the drum and the helical cam's angular momentum cycles the mechanism.
On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 16:00:07 -0500
<snip>

You probably already know... but this set from years ago (Item #633) looks to be the same as this weeks #2715.
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/2006/04/630.html
Seems like it was solved then either...
I knew I had seen it before, just not in a catalog which would tell me what it was for :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

You have a good memory! Yes, I knew I had posted it before and was hoping that posting another one might finally get an answer. Sometimes I get answers weeks, months or years after I first post an item, so I'm thinking we'll get it identified eventually.