What is it? Set 386

I was thinking it might be a cover for an inkwell that was sunk into a desk, that would explain why there are no mounting holes. It appears to have some wear on the raised surfaces, and possibly some ink stains on the brass surface but it's hard to tell exactly what the marks seen in this photo are from:

Rob H.

Has anyone asked what the text says on the second one?

--riverman

Reply to
humunculus

Sheepskin hides?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

No but sheep is the type of animal it's related to.

Reply to
Rob H.

I did a translation on the text, I was figuring that they were just names, below is the before and after:

BREVE DIN Von S.G.D.G. H. FROMONT EN FRANCE & A L'ETRANGER

BRIEF DIN Von S.G.D.G. H. FROMONT IN FRANCE & THE COUNTRY

Reply to
Rob H.

It would not stay centered over the inkwell without mounting holes, unless it were at least glued in place -- perhaps with provisions for removing and replacing the inkwells from below.

I do remember there were still inkwells in some of the desks at school in South Texas prior to the 1960s at least. They were no longer in use, and I at first wondered about them as a kid. Some of the desks just had the holes for the inkwells, without the inkwells still being present.

Mostly from a right hand opening it many times -- and a few from the left hand as well.

of the hinged part? The angle of view doesn't give much chance of telling it.

And where did you find this one? At a guess, in an antique store, not in a museum, where it would have been properly labeled.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Someone sent me the photos, looking to find out what it is, they found it a box along with a few unfinished furniture legs that someone had given them. I don't know if there was anything on the underside of the hinged part.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.