What is it? Set 386

Page 1 of 2
I think that I know the answer for the second item but I'm not 100% sure:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/2011/04/set-386.html
Rob

2232: an ice block carrier or dragger
2230: hair combs for lice or fleas
2228: a spyhole through a door
2227: a dirt clod breaker-upper

Someone else had suggested this but it doesn't have any mounting holes so I don't think this is what it's for.

    Perhaps intended to be glued in place? This one was perhaps never installed? (Or, perhaps some finishing nails could be hidden in the cups of the acorn caps.)
    Maybe to go on the outside of a coffin to allow a live burial to breathe for a while and perhaps be rescued?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

I was thinking it might be a cover for an inkwell that was sunk into a desk, that would explain why there are no mounting holes. It appears to have some wear on the raised surfaces, and possibly some ink stains on the brass surface but it's hard to tell exactly what the marks seen in this photo are from:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album%2012/pic2228ca.jpg
Rob

    It would not stay centered over the inkwell without mounting holes, unless it were at least glued in place -- perhaps with provisions for removing and replacing the inkwells from below.
    I do remember there were still inkwells in some of the desks at school in South Texas prior to the 1960s at least. They were no longer in use, and I at first wondered about them as a kid. Some of the desks just had the holes for the inkwells, without the inkwells still being present.

    Mostly from a right hand opening it many times -- and a few from the left hand as well.

    They could indeed be ink. Was there anything on the underside of the hinged part? The angle of view doesn't give much chance of telling it.
    And where did you find this one? At a guess, in an antique store, not in a museum, where it would have been properly labeled.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Someone sent me the photos, looking to find out what it is, they found it a box along with a few unfinished furniture legs that someone had given them. I don't know if there was anything on the underside of the hinged part.
Rob

2229. Vacuum secured drill press.
Rob H. wrote:

2227 looks like a concrete tool . Used to push the aggregate below the surface , so you can get a decent finish .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
On 04/28/2011 04:08 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2229 - Locksmith's drill to attach to a safe
2230 - Graining combs for faux finish grain patterns

This particular drill was used for something other than a safe, I'm not sure if locksmiths use a similar tool or not.

This answer is correct.
On 4/28/2011 1:13 PM, Rob H. wrote:

How about a plate glass drill?

Correct! This drill was used for mirrors but since they're made of glass that close enough for me.

I've seen a similar set-up with very strong magnets to hold the drill onto the safe

Yes ... and I have two that I've misplaced in my shop. I use them to simulate feather vermiculation when I paint a duck decoy.

#2230 A blank for making the tune differentiating part that they put in musical boxes (that you wind up)?
Bill
On 4/28/2011 12:15 PM, Bill wrote:

Oops, I got that backwards, this would have to be the "tone/scale" differentiating part. Small one and large one for different octaves--clip tines to appropriate length to get the tones in the scale required. Admittedly, this is just a guess (looks familiar though!).
Bill

    For this application, the ends would have to be in line to line up with the plucker pins on the cylinder which carries the tune. This means that the slots would have to be of varying length to produce the varying pitch tines.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Obviously, you are correct. Thanks! -Bill
2228: maybe a port for a speaking tube? Open, the servants can hear you, closed they cannot.
2229: a vacuum cup drill; it clamps onto a surface (?glass, polished rock) and drills a hole in it.
2230: maybe a fabric-arts gizmo, to hold strands of some kind of braidwork project?\
2232: looks like a kind of carpet (canvas?) stretcher.