What is it? Set 302

Posted for your pleasure, another attempt at guessing the uses of the sundry varied items:
1723 -- Funky wadding for a large shotgun or similar weapon? Foot or other end for a tubular support? Pushbutton switch (with integral strain relief) for mounting on a pigtail lead? So many possibilities, none really convincing.
1724 -- Spoke setting/wheel truing jig for some sort of spoked wheel, probably early motor vehicle wheels ("artillery wheels," if I recall correctly).
1725 -- Appears to be an engine or transmission workstand, for supporting an engine while overhauling it. Presumably, this is for units that are attached via a bell housing. The T handle opposite the mount permits flipping the workpiece.
1726 -- Device that attaches to the top rungs of a ladder and provides an adjustable hook/tab piece. I'd assume this is either to provide a degree of security against the ladder shifting while in use, or (perhaps more likely) to provide a standoff so the ladder itself isn't leaning against the gutter or wall or whatever is being worked on.
1727 -- fitting to hold a slender pole, perhaps for a smallish flag?
1728 -- Miniature/model cannon, possibly used with blanks for marking time, starting races, and the like.
Now to read other guesses...
--
Andrew Erickson

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 04:16:18 -0400, Rob H. wrote:

1728 - Because of the setting and the label, I'm guessing a scale model of some old cannon, in a museum display of some kind.
Cheers! Rich
| Submitted for your perusal, another set of items found while wandering back | alley flea markets and dens of antiquity: | | http://55tools.blogspot.com / | | | Rob
1723: A Champagne stopper for an opened bottle.
pavane

1723 Wine Cork foil striper 1724 Bicycle wheel truing 1725 some cind of movable holder 1726 Lader scafold shelf 1727 Javolin tip??? 1728 mini deck canon???

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always:
1723)    Given the separate dished end, I think that this is     intended to hold a pushbutton and snap into a panel or a holder     to make for a nice big button area. (Perhaps it goes into a     cylindrical holder to make a pendant button for emergency stops     or the like -- though I would expect the button surface to be     red for that.
1724)    This one looks as though it is intended to mount a telescope     between the larger screws (which allow it to pivot around the     center of the screws), and to be fine adjusted for lateral     setting using the two smaller screws.
    The flat plate on arms could be to store other eyepieces, or to     project something like the image of a solar eclipse, to protect     the eyes from direct viewing.
1725)    This one is clear -- it is a holder for internal combustion     engines (from automobiles mostly) to hold them and allow them to     be rotated while work is being performed on them.
    There should be a hydraulic engine hoist somewhere near, too.
1726)    This looks as though it is designed to fit on two consecutive     round runged ladder rungs, and hinge out to provide a place to     hang a paint bucket by the bail.
1727)    This looks like the scabbard for an early design of rifle     bayonet.
1728)    This looks like perhaps a 1 pound cannon (weight of the     lead cannonball which fits it). I think that it was for     mounting on a sailing craft for protection against pirates and     such -- but not for actual military use. And the base does not     look right for field use on land.
    Now to see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

1725 looks like an engine stand of some sort.
Steve R.

1728 is a cannon of some sort. Possibly ceremonial (i.e. the kind of thing a yacht club would use to fire a salute when hoisting colors).
Not sure about 1723, but it's clear that the three prongs with the bumps are meant to fit into (or onto) some kind of tube. The grey round part is some sort of bearing (like a partial ball-and-socket joint). My first thought was an artificial knee replacement joint, but it doesn't look like any I found pictures of. What's the material? Is it plastic?
1724 is obviously a sex toy.

Dooh! I had a vague idea about 1726, but wasn't sure. I was sort of on the right track, but wrong. I was thinking a bracket to mount an antenna on a sloped roof. Then, I just went out into the back yard to see what the guys who are painting my house were up to, and what did I see, but several 1726's in action! I'll keep quiet, so as not to spoil it for other people.