What is it? Set 260

Page 1 of 2
I haven't had any luck in identifying the large metal ring in number 1473, maybe someone here will recognize it.
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

Looks like a fan shroud.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Looks more like a rotating rack for pots and pans to me .
--
Snag
sometimes ya gotta
Terry Coombs wrote:

1471 is a leather working tool that is used to cut pieces off to shape what ever is being made.
1474 is a boot jack. You place one toe of the handle and the heal of the other book in the U shaped opening. Lift on the heal and slip you foot out of the boot. Reverse for the other boot.
Dave Nagel

Nice set. Can't even guess at a couple, but that won't stop me from trying.
1471: It seems that something can fit inside the grooved ends, with the steel 'spring' locking it in place. At first, before I saw that it was one-sided, I thought maybe it held a pool cue or something, but now I think it might be made to be hung on the handle of a pail to make it easier to carry. The two-sided grooves means it can be attached by twisting it on, and the springs keeps the wooden piece from slipping down the handle, or falling off.
1472: Drive motor for an electric garage door opener. The slots are so that the slave gear can disconnect in case the door jams.
1473: Why do I instinctively think of a big bass drum in a marching band...? Or, if this is an electrician's truck, the ring around a gas station sign like this: http://tinyurl.com/64u8lm
1474: A novelty boot jack: http://tinyurl.com/6m97fx
1475: A hay bale lifter like on the front of this tractor, but midified to use in a barn: http://tinyurl.com/67had6
1476: A diamond cutting machine.
--riverman

Or this? http://flickr.com/photos/delina/2115310294 /
Kinda sorta?
--riverman

Or this? http://flickr.com/photos/delina/2115310294 /
Kinda sorta?
--riverman
Yes, kinda sorta, not sure why it would have handles around the outside though. Here is a larger photo of the truck with its contents, you can click on it to make it bigger:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album%209/DSC00015-1.jpg

Good point.
Looking at the stuff in the back of the truck, it looks like this is a service vehicle for diesel tractor-trailers. Maybe this is some sort of fan shroud for a big diesel engine? And the things that look like handles are just framing to guide hoses, etc?
This is a tough one. Can anyone analyze all the other stuff in the back of the service vehicle for clues?
--riverman
    [ ... ]

    Hmm ... no click to make it bigger, but I saved it and cropped in as much as I can given the jpeg artifacts. (Not sure how much better the raw image from the camera would have been -- this one has been processed by a Microsoft program based on the exif data.
    anyway -- it looks to me as though at least some of the holes around the ring have studs in them facing in towards the center, which makes it's use as a tire bead setter less likely.
    I see two oxygen tanks lying down, instead of locked upright as they should be. A tank of some fuel gas (I don't think that it is acetylene, so perhaps propane or natural gas) at the right front corner. Acetylene would have to be strapped upright to make it usable without a few hours of upright resting after being turned upright from lying down.
    The rods with the hooks on the ends lok as though they might be used to hook the blow-molded plastic sign covers in place if it is truly a ring for a sign.
    Of course -- it could be totally unrelated to anything else in the truck -- having simply been scavenged from somewhere as a source of metal. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
E Z Peaces wrote:

On the right hand side of that object at the front is what looks to me like an exhaust pipe . I'd bet even money it's a welding machine , a big one too !
--
Snag
sometimes ya gotta

Of course the circumfrance of a tire compresses. Don't over complicate this - simply let some air out of a tire and watch the circumfrance compress.

No need for all of this elboration to simply seat a bead.

Are you talking about big trucks? If so, they don't seat like a car tire. They use split rims. An entirely different manner of seating a tire.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Take a good look next time you see a parked semi-truck . Namy are using tubeless tires and solid rims now , just like their smaller cousins . I believe radial tires are what makes this possible , because of the more flexible sidewalls .
--
Snag
sometimes ya gotta

Sunofagun. Just when ya think ya knows something, someone comes along and tells ya that ya don't. I hate it when that happens. I really was not aware that the big trucks got away from split rims.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Another aspect of that is the weight issue . Stamped steel rims are lighter , leaving more of the gross weight limitations for cargo . And the more ya can haul , the more money ya can make .
--
Snag
sometimes ya gotta

Some trailers no longer have a dual wheel/tire but one big wide-ass tire instead.

They got away from the split rims for safety purposes too. Many people injured/killed when servicing the split rims, becdause the ring would come loose under pressure. Most either used a safety cage when inflating them or put the ring side down.
Those big tires are called "super singles", and are OK for some things, but they're terrible in snow country or even in fresh rain with a light load. Some outfits use them on the drive axles of the tractors, and they'll spin loose real easy. Norm
Mike Marlow wrote: ...

About 20-30 years ago or so... :)
Still have one old ('58) truck w/ 'em -- it's an experience when it's worked on these days as none of the tire shop working kids have ever seen one, what more worked on one.
Also a pita as it's got 8.25x20 and hardly anything is that small any more so have to pay full list to get something ordered for it.

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:20:51 -0500, E Z Peaces cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Ahhh - now I see what you were referring to. Sorry - I could not take that out of your original statement. With this, I now agree with your earlier statement.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
"Rob H." wrote:

1474 is a portable bootjack.

Quite a tricky set this time, at least for me. Wild guesses follow.
1471 - Seems to be some manner of marker that clips onto a cable or rope. Being made out of wood, it's unlikely to be used as a weight, and it doesn't look too safe to use as an electrical insulator. Maybe it's placed where two ropes cross to avoid chafing against each other?
(Maybe it's a demonstration model illustrating a form of the Chinese finger trap?)
1472 - A smallish electric motor with a short doubly-keyed lead screw attached. Possibly this formed a part of a benedix drive to engage the load only when the motor was energized, as for a starter motor for an engine.
1473 - My initial thought was that this was part of a spinning rack such as is sometimes used to keep track of order slips in diners. That doesn't seem to go with the other tools and materials in the truck, though. Maybe it's a part of a light fixture or other item these tradesmen happen to be working on? Maybe it's a collar to go around an open manhole to hang stuff down and give some visual warning that there's an open manhole?
1474 - Portable gun rest for target shooting?
1475 - The claws appear to clamp onto something to hold and move it, engaged or released by the lever with the worn-off orange paint. Probably, it's used to move bales of something; I'd suspect not hay, as hay bales lack the structure to be grabbed this way, but perhaps newspapers for recycling or something similar.
1476 - Possibly these turn (or, perhaps more correctly, spin) brass finials?
Now to see what others have to say.
--
Andrew Erickson