What is it? CCXIX

The skins of those who didn't make it.

Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

Didn't you know that they are cannibals? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

1221: for lifting bottles out of a boiling water bath. 1222: drying rack for paintings, or silkscreens 1223: part of a defunct "lawn Jockey" or a mooring ring for a boat owner with a sense of humor. 1224: alignment tool? maybe you put it through a stack of something then put in the pin in the bottom hole and lift the set? 1225: Checkering tool 1226: Matthews clamp, used to hold screens, flags, scrims and lights for film and TV shoots.
Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Errm..., let me explain here that I am no expert or anything. I simply copied your 1223 .jpg file and pasted it into "My Pictures" folder. In this folder I have the view set to 'thumbnails' as opposed to 'icons' or 'list'. I use windows XP Pro and IE 7 and to view the jpg image I use 'Windows Picture & Fax Viewer' which came as standard I think. The thumbnail (in the 'My Pictures' folder) shows string and label on a right handed image, the jpg image doesn't. I could capture the thumbnail image and post it somewhere, If there was any interest, I suppose. I want to mess on with photobucket or something anyway to try and get to understand how that works. Anyway .... So somehow the information must be all in the jpg file somewhere. After all on the jpg properties page it tells me what date and time you took the image, what make and model of camera, the exposure rate, and well all sorts apart from what you had for breakfast that morning .... lol I have no special programs I don't think, apart from what came built in. I am no geek and for the most part don't understand computers, but I like pushing buttons and dinging bells. M. ;o)

Reply to
Merskeen Durkin

I was surprised that the file still carries exif data after being edited. One application shows me data about the thumbnail, but I haven't been able to see it.

Reply to
Bill Rider

Well I signed up for photobucket, but haven't got it quite right yet. Looks like I will have to give them more freedom to muck my computer about. One step at a time though. Anyway this link seems to do partly what I wanted.

is a gif image I captured of a jpg thumbnail. I know, I know ......... I certainly make things complicated for myself.

M.

Reply to
Merskeen Durkin

This is a better link .....

I wasn't smart. :o( M.

Reply to
Merskeen Durkin

"R.H." wrote in news:47b779f3$0$17335$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

It's not a killer mistake. The Rockler catalog has similar mistakes in it as well. Look at the screws - some of them are pictured as having a left- hand thread. This sort of thing happens all the time in advertising because the photo editer thinks that view makes a better shot. The coffee maker Bodum has a couple of web pages showing ice at the bottom of glasses of iced tea.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

Surely not?!?!??!

Hmmmm - jugs:

gawd. This guy was right:

Phil

Reply to
Phil Carmody

Irfanview, Xnview... and the other image editors I tried don't display the embedded thumbnail. It must have been pushed around inside a bit too (by Picasa?) because the exif location for it has been slightly moved. I could hex-edit it (thumbnail) from the file and then view it okay with other programs. It looked to me like the thumbnail was actually created in your camera when you took the picture.

If you happen to have the unadulterated image from your camera for this image and want to send/post it somewhere I could tell for sure.

Some of us get our clues anyway we can, so yes indeed your images are well scrutinized :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

People who major in artistic impression deal in anti-logic Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I was thinking of:

wraps poorly bodumusa web site > tea > mugs & cups > Pavina > double wall iced tea glass, set of 2 (third from bottom)

They actually make nice stuff. I've got a set of the Assam double-walled tumblers and tall iced tea glassed.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

My original was the same as the thumbnail that Merskeen posted, I've used a couple different image editors and none of them have shown the embedded photo so I had no idea it was there. I'll have to do some research and see if there is a setting that determines what thumbnail you see. Yes, I used Picasa to edit the photo, and I also used Paint to remove the thread and tag.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Okay, I took your original image from the question page and used the "JPG Lossless Operations" in Irfanview (ver 4.00) to strip out all such info. It seems to have removed all thumbnails, exif, iptc and comments okay. Modified image can be seen here:

can compare this version to your original if you wish.

Supposedly this is a lossless conversion using Irfanview (ie it wasn't re-jpeged).

You may have a similar method in one of your software programs.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Thanks, looks like Irfanview works pretty well, someone else emailed me and recommended some freeware called "jhead" to do the same thing, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Sorry, I had forgotten to post the original image last night and was planning to do it tonight when I got home from work, but I guess it won't be necessary now.

Coming this week on the site: three woodworking tools, a wrench, a bench, and a mystery device.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Hi Rob,

I use Irfanview a lot for general viewing, format changing and simple transformations. The latest version 4.10 has some weird bugs though. Probably nothing that you would be bothered by but I find quite annoying. So I have both 4.00 and 4.10 to choose from. See:

is much the same and could easily be used just as much. I just got used to using Irfanview and know the keyboard commands better. See:

full array of plugins for either of these is much larger than the base program. I have pretty much all of the plugins made for them too. Either program can use/run Adobe plugins if you have some favorites.

Lossless Jpeg transformations is a plugin for either program (part of their standard plugin array). Just be warned though that it works on the original file being viewed and overwrites same when applied. Make sure you have a backup file or your original will be toast!

Reply to
Leon Fisk