What is it? CCVIII

Page 1 of 2
This week's set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
1155 Guess: Tire groove maker. To cut or deepen grooves in (possibly retreaded) tires.

1157 Veterinarians surgical tool for circumcising cattle

I haven't been able to find one like it, but this is probably correct, anyone know what the piece is in the lower left of the box?
Rob

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:23:56 -0500, "R.H."

Hi Rob,
Here are some similar tools via patents:
http://www.google.com/patents?vid "30042 http://www.google.com/patents?vid "22036 http://www.google.com/patents?vid 97811 http://www.google.com/patents?vid 31472 http://www.google.com/patents?vid 26520
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
R.H. wrote:

Only one idea this week.
1154 for drilling hole for pegs in post and beam barn type construction
Howard Garner
R.H. wrote:

1154)    Timber boring machine.

#1154 Timber framer's drills.
#1155 Heated cutter for re-grooving tread in worn truck tyres.
#1157 Boiled egg opener
#1159 Glass tube cutter, used for making standard lengths oof lab glassware

1155- tire groover.
1157- I have no idea, just keep it right the hell away!
Dave
1154. Hand cranked beam mortiser. You stand or sit on the plate and turn the cranks to hog out the center of the mortise which is then cleaned up with chisels and a bruzz. 1155. Looks old to be one, but it appears to be a hot knife for cutting varying depth grooves in foam plastic. 1156. World's smallest folding boot jack, or a really stupid cigar ashtray. 1157. Candle cutter. 1158. Possibly a tire installation/removal tool. 1159. Maybe a glass rod or tube cutter.

What's a "bruzz" ? I'm curious of the etymology of this term.
AFAIK (in the UK, as a some-time working framer), wheelwrights used a tool called a bruzz, but framers never referred to it as such. The wheelwright's tool has a 60 angle to the corner, the framer's corner chisel was 90. I've never seen a framer use a corner chisel that wasn't such a right angle.
Do any of the world's square-cornered framers use the term "bruzz"?
Just what is it that wheelwrights do with these acute-angled chisels?

I am not going to hazard what people do with a chisel that they find "cute". It would be ungentlemanly!
A bruzz is a large corner chisel used in timber framing. There are many names: http://www.loghelp.com/logcore/07/fall/fall07ho.html

I've _never_ heard any real framer refer to one as such. I don't know if this just a UK distinction, but round here the name at least is just a wheelwright's term.

I'm sure I'll run across something I've never heard before, but I'm not sure what it'll be. ;) I've never heard, nor met, a wheelwright, and know little about tool terminology outside the US, so I'm sure your wheelwright reference is correct.
This from the Classic Hand Tool site in the UK:
Robert Sorby Heavy Duty Corner Chisel Ref: RS287 A heavyweight 1" (25mm) wide bruzz (corner chisel) for cleaning up deep corners of mortises.- Ash Handle Overall Size:- 380-407mm Blade Length 239mm Price: 78.50 (Including VAT at 17.5%)
1154 The original mag base drill, before magnetism was invented...
Paul
It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.

Coffee Mill type drill used to bore out mortices in timber frames.
And a boiler sight glass cutter, real hardware stores still have these and will cut a sght glass for you for a couple dollars.

This is correct, anyone know what the notch with the small spike is for? I'm guessing it's used to remove excess glass if you didn't get a clean break, but that would require very thin glass. The notch measures 1/8" long. The patent for the tool can be seen here:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=NxZ2AAAAEBAJ&dqH3778
Rob

I wonder if 1155 isn't an early curling iron, perhaps even for show horse manes? I assume it heats up...
http://improve-usenet.org /
"might they call #1157.....the "Bobbit" tool/ OUCH!!!! 1154 Boring machines for peg holes in the beams used in timberframing 1156...would like to see the back if it....looks like a lemon squeezer from the pic.

I don't own this piece so I can't post a photo of the back, but I can tell you that it's not a lemon squeezer or a tool of any kind.
Rob